1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

installing a dual action truss rod question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by knarleybass, Oct 21, 2010.

1. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I am getting close to my first neck build, and I have a question about installing a two way truss rod, once the truss rod is in the channel you glue in a filler strip over the the top of the truss rod, do you actually glue the filler strip to the rod?

thanks

Bob

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com

Bob,
    For a dual action, it's not necessary. For a single action is where it's used, for the majority. Typically, the filler strip is curved, so that the rod pushes on the neck in a way, that gives you tension. Fender is an example of where a filler strip is used (on the back of the neck), but these a single action rods though.

For a dual action, you'll install the rod under the fretboard instead (with no strip). Although, I've seen a few dual action rods installed from the back. You'll just need to route the depth of the rod, no need for a strip.

3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I'd love to see how a dual rod is installed from the back of the neck... I'm gearing up to make a Tele for a friend, and he wants a one-piece neck, but likes dual action rods... I'm stumped!

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    From what I'm told, the neck blank itself is routed from the back (got to be a uniform piece to start with), determine the depth for the rod (1/8" or preferably more from the fretboard surface), also the drill out for the adjustment and the flat strip can be glued in, then shaped, etc......

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Route the slot, drill the end, put the rod in and then glue in a strip from the rear. What has you stumped, Shawn?

Here's an end shot of a HotRod:

Build368.

6. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    What's got me stumped is that I've been told that you have to have both ends of the Hot Rod supported beyond the "skunk stripe", because the ends of the rod could cause the skunk stripe to separate... They said that, just like a one-way rod, the ends of the rod need to extend past the skunk stripe.

Is that not the case?

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Shawn,
    Wayne Charvel does dual action rods with skunk stripes. He just mills the entire rod area all the way through, then glues in the filler, and when it's time to glue on the fretboard, he installs the rod then. I assume he knocks in the filler to the appropriate depth of the rod.

8. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    thanks for the info

9. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I'm interested in doing a one piece neck (no glued on fingerboard) for a Thinline Tele project I'm doing for a friend... That's why I want to install from the back.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah, it'd need to be ;)

11. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    As long as your joint is tight you will be fine.

Just make sure to have plenty of Hostess products around.

...am I allowed to make that joke? :eek:

bassplayer9512 likes this.
  12. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The video listed above isn't really an example of what I'm hoping to do, though, because thr skunk stripe is purely cosmetic. He still installs the truss rod from the fingerboard side.

I'm concerned that routing a skink stripe the full length of the truss rod would not provide enough strength, given that the ends of the rod will be applying pressure to a glue joint the same width as the rod, with wood only 1/8" or so thick.

It just seems weaker than having the ends compressing against the contiguous wood of the neck. Weaker because the ends of the strip coincides with the ends of the rod.

Thoughts?