1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing a Fender thumb rest?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OhHeyThere, May 3, 2010.

1. OhHeyThere

OhHeyThere

Mar 19, 2010
    I know this question sounds super dumb, but I just picked up a P-bass off craigslist for 300 dollars yesterday and it came with a thumb rest, which I want to install and try out. The bass itself is missing one of the holes where the thumb rest is to be installed, and I didn't know if I can just drill a hole into that. I'm fairly certain that should work fine but I don't want to take any chances.

2. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    I think I'd try gaffa-taping it in place first, make sure you get the right position for your playing style and indeed, determine if you want it at all, before you go drilling holes in your bass.

If and when you do decide to do it, mark out the position, maybe protect the plate with some masking tape or card, in case you slip, and just drill the right depth and diameter pilot holes.

Keep the drill straight, mark the depth with tape around the drill bit so you drill the correct depth and you'll be fine.

I'd be practicing all this on a scrap piece of wood first, just to be sure my pilot holes were suitable for the supplied screws. Not too tight, not too sloppy.

Good luck!
    :bassist:

3. Yes, placing the thumbrest is somewhat individual taste, so definitely try taping it in place and playing it first. You may find that what looks right doesn't feel right.

Then drill baby, drill.

4. OhHeyThere

OhHeyThere

Mar 19, 2010
    I put it in with just one screw since there is only one hole under the pickguard and a solid spot next to it where the thumb rest lines up. I really like the convenience of the pickup cover so I decided to leave it on, and that's the only reason I want this thumb rest, because I have to anchor further down because of it. I was just wondering if it was safe to just drill a hole, and by just drill a hole, I mean my dad could do it for me because he is a pretty big "tool man" haha. I liked how it felt and I think I might have him give it a shot tonight.

5. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I have a paper template of a jazz and precision bass and where the thumbrest should go. Shoot me a message and I will scan it and send it to you.

6. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Better yet I will scan the thing at work and post it here!

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    just don't drill those holes in clear wood, but only over the pickguard area. if you discover later that the thing is just in the way, a replacement pickguard will have you looking as good as new.

8. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I bought some 1/4" or 3/8" dowel, and some sticky tack to hold it in place to get the placement I liked

9. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If the pickguard already has the second hole, just drill a pilot hole for the screw with the pickguard on the bass.