Installing a Input Jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bste9, Aug 14, 2004.

1. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    How do i install an input on my bass. I have never messed around with the internal stuff on my basses, but i got a bad jack and if i can replace myself i will. THE bass is a spector rebop. Thanks
  2. If you'll look about a couple of dozen threads back, you'll see not one but two threads telling you exactly how to change your jack..... ;)
  3. If you know how to solder...then get a good Switchcraft Jack...
    Loosen the strings on the bass, remove the pickguard screws, Slip the pickguard up and over the pickups and move out of the way as much as possible...unscrew the nut on the outside that holds the Jack in place...note which one of the two wires goes to what point on the jack (write it down)...heat the joint with a soldering iron and pull the wires off.. now insert a wire into the proper lug on the new jack...put the tip of the soldering iron where the wire and the lug come together...apply should flow evenly onto the wire and the lug of the do the same to the other wire...push the jack back into the hole where it belongs and hold in place while you put the nut on..tightened the nut with a nut driver.
    Note: a properly soldered joint should be shiny...if it is dull then you have a cold solder joint that will come back to bite you. Only leave the soldering iron on the lug long enough for the solder to flow or you could damage the wire with too much heat.
    Use 60/40 rosin core solder...can get it at Radio Shack.