Installing a John East preamp and new Fender noiseless Jazz V gen 4 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Syl_Funky_bass, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Syl_Funky_bass

Syl_Funky_bass

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi Guys,

I've just bought a new John East Uni-Pre 4 knob preamp and a new set of Fender Ultra noiseless gen 4 pickups for my 2006 Victor Bailey Jazz V.

If I want to have a pro do that work for me it would cost me about 200$ in my area.

I have never done such a job and have no experience in soldering, shielding and grounding jobs... But I'm a fast learner.
    I'm considering replacing the pickups and the preamp myself.

Is it realistic for me to think I could do that properly?

What tips could you give to me? Any advice on what I'd need to do that job properly would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    It's a Jazz bass and you've mentioned soldering, grounding and shielding. If you have no prior experience, and I say this because East preamps don't come cheap, I would use a pro, maybe you can agree to a slightly lower price but remember you want the best job possible so your bass is shielded, grounded, and most of all you're able to exploit the full power of that preamp. You get what you pay for. I don't know where you're located so can't suggest any businesses that might be useful to you.

Syl_Funky_bass likes this.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'd say it's realistic. John East preamps are mostly solder-free setups. The cleanest uninstall of the old preamp would require the soldering gun, but you can always nip off connections instead if needed.

Likely, you'll need to cut/desolder the leads to the preamp from the pickup and remove the connection from the batteries. The jack, I'm not exactly sure what the East comes with, but if they both use the standard 1/4" stereo setup, as long as the wires are long enough, you should be able to use the new one with the jack plate.
    If not, keep an eye on what the old jack connects to so you can adapt it for the UniPre connections.

When you've removed the old preamp and pickups, the only real connections that should be left in the bass are the grounds and batteries. There may be multiple ground wires or they may have grouped them together, but they will need to be connected to the UniPre.

I'd install the new pickups, connect them to the preamp connections, connect the grounds, batteries and jack as needed, then install the preamp into the bass.

I installed an East into my old Jazz Deluxe 5 many years ago and remember that the battery clip included was more difficult to deal with than just leaving the original in place and using the existing connections to attach to the East.
    If you have any trouble or concerns, feel free to post pics before cutting or connecting. But honestly, part of the beauty of these super-exotic preamps was their ease of install.

Syl_Funky_bass likes this.
  4. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Will you need to strip the ends of any wires? Having a wire striper with small gauges will be really helpful. I'm a strong proponent of the right tool for the job...

This one's less than $5.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021