Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing a Ken Smith Pre on a cirrus?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Aug 10, 2005.

1. I am looking at the pre on the website how would I find out if the knobs are the right fit for my Cirrus? Also I have heard that this pre with some Barts is the way to go. Which Barts give that deep, fat and warm bottom

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I don't know the bass or the preamp in question, so my strong suggestion would be to measure everything up, centre to centre of the pot shafts, shape and depth of the control cavity etc and send these off to KS to ensure they'll fit before shelling out the $. The more info you give to KS the more definitive your answer will be. I doubt this has been done my many people, if at all, as the Cirrus electronics seem to get a lot of kudos. The other thing I recall reading is that the Cirrus pups are an odd dimension. Better check that other brands will fit in.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Can you say what you're looking to change about the sound?

Also, I don't think there are any Bart pickups that fit the cirrus routes - Peavey use their own route size - so additional work may be required

4. I wanted to get more warmth at the bottom. I feel that the Cirrus is very modern sounding in the mix and does not get the fullness at the deep end that I need.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, to me, I associate the Ken Smith having a strong mid prescence and not as much in the lowend, but it still has nice lows, just not as present as the mids.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hmm, that's the Cirrus sound really.
    I have no experience with Ken Smith preamps, but Aguilar and Bart preamps will give you plenty of low end.
    Again, I have a lot of experience with Bart pups and can't think of any aftermarket pups from any manufacturer that fit those routes. You might have to get routing work done.