Installing a magnetic PU on a acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Crysard, May 9, 2021.

1. Crysard

Crysard

May 9, 2021
    Im planning to install this magnetic PU into my acoustic bass, how should i route the cable?
    I prefer to avoid drilling additional holes.
    I just don want unnecessary cables hanging around.

Attached Files:

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Small hole in body - down to strap pin.

RSBBass likes this.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Historically people used pickguards for this purpose.

gjvyxs1vlceysgu4kntf.jpg

4. Crysard

Crysard

May 9, 2021
    And i idiot threw my pickguard away because negative affected the sound:banghead:

5. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    If you do the pickguard thing you have to be very careful if you mount the jack there as it will be fragile. Also, think about how you are going to ground it.

6. Crysard

Crysard

May 9, 2021
    The jack wont be a problem, im gonna replace the already existed, terrible sounding piezo. it also has way less feedback and sound more natural with the magnetic PU

RSBBass likes this.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

The pickguard is used to hold electronics and hide cables, not as an anchor for the jack.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    why does the piezo sound "terrible"? is there a preamp inside the bass (powered by a battery?)

if not then there's your problem! bridge piezos without preamps sound yes, terrible; weak output and no low end. put a proper piezo preamp in there and the stock pickup will be big, loud and deep-sounding.

9. Crysard

Crysard

May 9, 2021
    It has a preamp with a fresh battery, the problem is it has massive feedback even at low practice loudness because the tailpiece

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    OK so it's not an impedance issue but what makes you think the tailpiece is the problem?

if it's that you're getting excess rumble and noise from it vibrating then the simple solution is to stuff some cloth or foam up under there to immobilize it

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  11. Crysard

Crysard

May 9, 2021
    Well, even with foam under the tailpiece its way more feedback sensitive, and sounds less natural

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021