Installing a neck J in my P/J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lemko, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Lemko

Feb 22, 2006
    New York City
    Is this a good idea? I like the P and P/J tones I get from my bass (an SX SPJ) as it is, but I also find I really like what I percieve as a more tight, focused sound in J/J basses (I'm thinking, say, Graham Lewis in Wire).
    Obviously, the P and the J can't both be in their standard position. I'd probably install the J closer to the neck rather than move the P, since the P is already there. So, question 1: would the different placement of the neck J make a huge difference? I know it won't sound exactly like a standard J bass, but if it just has a little more low end I'll take it.
    Also, my current thought is that I would wire it with a DPDT toggle to switch between the neck J and the P. Question 2: that seems reasonable, right? I guess I could also have some way to put them all in series if I wanted.
    Finally, question 3: is this just foolish? Should I just buy an SX J instead of spending so much time on this one? I just really like the idea of not having to carry around multiple basses to get different pickup sounds, given my inclination to jump from punk to wall-of-distortion noise to dub to light, melodic loop-pedal stuff.

By the way, this is my first post after lurking for some time. Hello.
  2. probably not as much of a quick change as your looking for, but i'd use 3 stacked volume/tone pots, would sound good i reckon