1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installing a neck J in my P/J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lemko, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Lemko

Lemko

Feb 22, 2006
    New York City
    Is this a good idea? I like the P and P/J tones I get from my bass (an SX SPJ) as it is, but I also find I really like what I percieve as a more tight, focused sound in J/J basses (I'm thinking, say, Graham Lewis in Wire).
    Obviously, the P and the J can't both be in their standard position. I'd probably install the J closer to the neck rather than move the P, since the P is already there. So, question 1: would the different placement of the neck J make a huge difference? I know it won't sound exactly like a standard J bass, but if it just has a little more low end I'll take it.
    Also, my current thought is that I would wire it with a DPDT toggle to switch between the neck J and the P. Question 2: that seems reasonable, right? I guess I could also have some way to put them all in series if I wanted.
    Finally, question 3: is this just foolish? Should I just buy an SX J instead of spending so much time on this one? I just really like the idea of not having to carry around multiple basses to get different pickup sounds, given my inclination to jump from punk to wall-of-distortion noise to dub to light, melodic loop-pedal stuff.

By the way, this is my first post after lurking for some time. Hello.

2. probably not as much of a quick change as your looking for, but i'd use 3 stacked volume/tone pots, would sound good i reckon