Installing a new bridge on a Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nick Ioannucci, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Im looking to put a BadassII bridge on my Fender, as the original bridge isnt all that great. what i am wondering is, all the pictures i see of them on WD show that they have no slots for the strings on the saddles, probably not the right terminology, but what i want to know is do you have to put the slots there or am i just missing something. please help a bass modding new comer. thanx in advance.
  2. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    You have to cut your own grooves in the BA2, and it will not sound right unless you do. If you want another excellent candidate to replace a stock Fender, that does NOT require you to do this, look at the Schaller 2000, available from AllParts. I put one on my Precision, and won't give the BA so much as a second glance after using this . . . .

- Tim
  3. hey thanks for that. if i were to buy a bad ass how would i groove the saddles?
  4. asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    get some diamond needle files---use the triangle shaped file, then move to the round to remove the burrs...
  5. I second that. I replaced the bridge on my classic 60's with this one and it rocks. direct replacement, real nice bridge. too bad it doesnt support body-through... that would have been killer.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What's wrong with the original bridge? Do you want the bass to look cooler? If so, the Badass II is the way to go. If you want the feel and sound effects of a high-mass bridge then there are better alternatives to the Badass II that are less expensive (Gotoh being very popular). Also, there are pre-slotted Badass II bridges out now.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The Gotoh 201 is a more affordable alternative to the Badass that is a good option. It's a direct drop in, and improves on the MIM design on a couple of different ways. If more mass is your goal, it has that. More importantly, to me, is that it has slots on the bottom plate for the saddle screws to sit in, as opposed to the MIM bridge, on which they can slide around willy-nilly.

It also already has grooves in the saddle. Unless you're hung up on the Badass, I would go with the Gotoh! Though, I have a Jazz bass with each, and both are great bridges, so you can't go wrong. :)
  8. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'd check out the BA III if you really want a BA bridge. It's pre-slotted with about 3/4 slots to choose your string spacing, and supports string-thru-body.

Are you replacing the bridge strictly to have a more sturdy bridge, or are you hoping to improve the punch and sustain? IME, the BAII also "brightens" the sound, which you may or may not like. By brighten I mean it adds clarity to all the notes without taking away any bass/low mid punch. This is also easy to tame if you know how to use a tone pot. :D I found that it makes my higher notes snappier, and my lower notes "cleaner," so to say.

I still have yet to groove the saddles on my BAII. I don't agree that it sound weird without the grooves, my SX sounds great even though I haven't grooved the saddles yet. I only plan on doing it to keep the strings from moving back and forth. I've had it on there a few months, and the strings are already making their own grooves.

I'd wait around for a used BAII. They're usually in great condition, usually they'll be pre-slotted, and you'll save $20 or so in the process. Also, some people end up disliking the BAII, so you might want to buy used in case you don't like the affect on the sound and the feel of the strings. It does make a difference, and not everyone likes that difference.
  9. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    NO! Bad advice!

According to Nick's profile his bass is a MIM. The Badass III is a direct drop-in replacement for USA Fenders with through-body stringing. The Badass II that he's looking at (and the Gotoh 206) is a drop-in replacement for his bass. The Badass III won't fit, or will require drilling new holes.
  10. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Whoa! Boo Hiss!:eyebrow:

My mistake. Upon more research, I found that the BAIII has only 3 installation screw holes, rather than Fender's typical 5-hole bridge. It's also meant to be a direct replacement for Fender Deluxe-style basses with 3-hole bridge mounting and string-thru capabilities. Cancel the recommendation for the BAIII.
  11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Actually, that's a good recommendation for people who want a high-mass replacement for a USA made Fender. I don't know if there even is any other drop-in replacement, and the Badass III is a significantly better bridge (IMO) than the Badass II. I didn't mean to yell at you I just didn't want Nick to accidentally order something that doesn't fit his bass. :)
  12. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    No problem. :smug:

I still recommend a BAII as a replacement for any 5-hole bridge.
  13. i was just into the BA cause my buddy has it on his bass and everything sounds alot cleaner(its the same bass) thanks guys. for the advice. ill probably take it down the road to a tech to do the slots since that really isnt my thing(electronics is though... OVERHAUL)
  14. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I just changed the pickups and put a BadAss III on my Fender Am JBass and the bass is in a whole new league now. I have a BassAss II on my Fender MM4. I am sold on BassAss bridges.

Any good repair shop should be able to slot the bridge saddles for you. For them its a simple task.
  15. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I tried a Gotoh-206. They are cheap from Warmoth. However, the saddles were too fat and the plate was thicker than the vintage bridge and I could not lower the strings enough. I was told to shim the neck, but instead I sold the bridge and bought a new Fender Vintage Bridge.