1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing a new neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by creamgeez, Sep 9, 2008.

1. creamgeez

creamgeez

Aug 11, 2008
    I have a new Allparts p bass neck to install.

I noticed that the truss rod nut was tightened all the way when it arrived at my door... which got me thinking:

Where should the truss rod nut be before I tune the strings, for the purpose of facilitating the setup process once the strings are on? Loosened all the way, mid-point, or tightened all the way?

Thanks for the feedback.

2. You can't really set it exactly before the strings are on. I have found good luck with adjusting it until the neck is essentially straight before the strings go on. String tension seems to pull the neck into roughly the right amount of relief.

After putting the strings on a new neck, you need to inspect the relief after a day or so, then adjust the truss rod accordingly.

Of course, YMMV.

3. The last two I've done, both All Parts, I put the neck into a very slight backbow. I Use a straightedge long enough to cover the fretboard and tighten the rod until the straightedge "just" rocks a tiny bit. That got both just right when strung for me. As Slyjoe posted above, it takes a day or so to settle, so check relief again. Don't forget to slightly loosen and then re-tighten the neck mounting screws once strung to get the heel well seated into the neck pocket. It'll "ooze" down even if you don't, just takes longer.
    Josh

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I'd agree with slyjoe and J.D.B., both have very good suggestions.

5. creamgeez

creamgeez

Aug 11, 2008
    Thanks for the information.

All I need to do now is stain and seal the neck to attain a vintage/amber look. And maybe splurge on electronics...Rothstein s website impressed me.

The Hipshot Ultralites fit like a glove on the PMO Allparts and they complement the Badass perfectly.