Installing a nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Nov 20, 2002.

1. I am confident that I can do any work on my bass that needs to be done except installing the nut. Is this something that most of you guys do yourselves? My new Gecko came with a corian nut blank and I'm a little aprehensive about doing it my self. What is the minimum set of tools I can get by with?
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought a diamond nut file from Stew Mac that works great. I went crazy one weekend and made new nuts for an oud, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and 2 basses. I used Micarta nut blanks from Stew Mac. I had no problem using just one file for all. The price was about $30.
  3. jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    A simple way to file the grooves in the nut is to use a set of roundwound strings as files! The best of all is that the strings fit perfectly!
    Been there done that! It really works. Of course you'll have to use a needle file to get it going.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Stew- Mac sells files and they recommend using one size file to make several size slots.

I only use one file that really isn't a file. I made it from a piece of hacksaw blade. Works just fine.

5. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not sure but I would guess that he had one very small file and he just filed outward more on the thicker strings.
  6. I just completed my nut. I ended up using a combination of a small file, tiny screwdriver, tiny saw, and some old strings. I would make a rough slot slightly smaller than the string then use an old string sort of like a file to smooth it out.

Thanks for the help.
  7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

IMHO there are very few things in instrument repair that can be correctly accomplished in only one way.

Monkey made and installed several nuts using only one file. I personally only use one "file". Count Funk made and installed his nut using only one file.

What part of our success do you disagree with?

A set of 4 files from Stew-Mac will cost the better part of $50.00. I'll continue to get by just fine with one file and a little ingenuity whether it is "correct" (in your opinion) or not. :)

8. It took a really long time doing the way I did. Since I have all ready built three Warmoth basses I think I will invest in a set of files. It will definitely make the process go quicker and with less chance of messing it up.