Installing a thumbrest?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Lemme know if this is in the wrong place, because I think it is, but I couldn't really find any other place that it should be in.

ANYwho, I'm a beginning bassist, only playing for maybe half a year, and I'm looking into getting a new bass. I'm not really gonna go into details, because it's not very important.

Here's my question: How hard is it to install a thumbrest? I mean, I've looked around the internet and I couldn't find anything. I always thought that I just like put it over the edge of the pickguard, like where the screws would go in for the pickguard. Just install it over those slots and get longer screws.

So if anyone could help and possibly point me to a guide for this, I'd greatly appreciate it. By the way, I'm talking about putting it about the E string, not below the G string as alot of J basses do for...some reason...
  2. thumbrests should be placed where its most confortable to you...usually, gotta drill...

I did make one for my acoustic, I didnt drill, used strong double-sided tape. held on well, when the time came to take it off, no problem, t'was as if it'd never been there.
  3. Well yeah, I was gonna put it above the E string because I don't play with my thumb.

But assuming that it'd be place above the pickguard, does it matter where I drill? I mean, could I just go ahead and drill into the body, or is there a certain place?
  4. What kind of bass do you have? If it is a p-bass or a jazz bass(it doesn't or shouldn't matter if its a knock off from Fender..)

If you buy the fender thumb rest, it comes with a sheet of paper inside the packaging that says if you are instaling it on a jazz bass cut along the dotted line and a p-bass cut along the continous line, then you just tape it onto your pickguard and i belive emine had one or two diffrent positions where it is "normally" put. I mean you could play around with it a little to suit yourself, but for me it wa sperfect on my jazz bass, and am going to get one for my p-bass soon.

If you don't buy the Fender one, mine rests over the second screw from the horn and just below the third one.

I will take some picturs for you if you are interested.

5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I usually install them in the usual Fender spot which utilizes one screw that's already in there, and the template shows you where to drill the other hole.
  6. I'd appreciate that.

Well right now I've got a Squier P-bass, and I was looking into getting a new bass (maybe a J-bass). But I've always wondered about this kind of thing anyway.