Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing a tweeter bypass switch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Apr 20, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone tried this? I'm trying to get an old school sound out of my EBS Taurus combo. It's a bright cab, and I can't quite eq away the highs for that muffled sound (I play fretless most of the time).

The tweeter is a Celestion HF50, 16 Ohms. The combo puts out 240W into the cab, so I'm guessing it's a 50W tweeter. At 16 ohms, that makes 62V and 4A.

If I'm doing this correctly, I can just hit radio shack for a switch rated at those numbers or higher and I'm good, right?

2. For the same price (well, close) as a switch from RatShack, order an "L" pad attenuator from Parts Express, then you can dial in as much or little tweeter as you wish. For a 50w mono tweeter, that'd be part #260-255. includes knob and mounting plate for $5.95

3. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Done! Thanks for the tip -- they even had a 16 ohm version. Should be perfect. Now I just need to find a spot to mount it.