Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

installing aguilar obp-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Mar 19, 2001.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    ive looked all over and havent found details on how this thing connects to your bass; im looking to buy one but im not sure if it will work with my basses
    any help is appreciated

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Aguilar OBP-1 can work with any pick-up's. Active or passive. So it should work with your bass.

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Ive heard that the obp-1 is very versatile, it should work with basses with only volume and tone knobs to basses with more advanced arrangements(i.e. two and three band EQ). Im not 100% on this, and it does depend on whether the electronics cavity has enough room for it.

4. the obp-1 takes a relatively small amount of room, so a small cavity should work. one thing i don't like about them is the preamp is shrinkwrapped, as opposed to being encased in epoxy. not a big deal, it just doesn't leave many options as far as mounting it securely, so it doesn't rattle around.
    make sure your cavity is shielded all around, including the cavity cover. that obp-1 will pick up anything.

what kind of bass are you mounting it in?

one other thing is that the diameter of the pot's threads is smaller than most. i've had to plug the holes in a couple of basses, and re-drill smaller holes in the plugs, in order for them to mount snugly.

as far as connecting it, it should have come with instructions. if not, call aguilar - they'll email or fax it to you.

not that my opinion matters, but i really don't like those preamps.