Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

installing an demeter preamp.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peccavi, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    ok i might be posting this in the wrong place but i want to know how difficult it is installing a demeter onboard preamp?
    i have installed pick-ups before so i know how to do that. but do i need know how or can anyone do it? i am doing it to a warwick standard streamer because i want it active so i can play out with it. also do you think barts will be good for metal or should i stick with getting emg's? thank you.

2. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I installed a Demeter BEQ-1 in a bass last week. The installation is very simple. The preamp comes with a prewired harness and all you need to do is solder the bridge ground wire to a pot casing (I'd recommend installing ground wires connecting all pots) and soldering the pickup pos. & neg. wires to the prewired harness and pot casing. The harness wire leads are rather long and you may want to consider shortening the wire runs (the extra wire lengths clutter up the control cavity). For what it's worth, the pre comes with separate bass/mid/treble controls. I replaced the bass/mid pots with a single 50K concentric pot to eleminate the need to drill another mounting hole. Demeter approved the change (100K pots to 50K). You also may want to install another battery connector in series 18VDV) to increase headroom. The preamp sounds great with Bartolini's!

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If you can install pickups, you can install a preamp. Should come with wiring diagrams. You don't need to know what the wires do, just where they go - unless you want to make modifications from the diagrams. If you can solder you can do it.

Don't do metal but somehow Barts don't strike me as a metal pup but some guys play metal with flats so why not Barts.

If you get into the wiring and feel over your head, as long as you don't live in the sticks, you should have no problem finding someone to do it for you. But I can almost gaurantee you'll be frustrated if you do it yourself - but you can still do it. And I'd get some copper shielding and put down on the bottom of the control cavity if it doesn't already have it (or the equivalent) so you don't have to jack with wiring ground wires to pots - which is pretty much the only real challenge for soldering a bass. You can get shrink tubing at Home Depot to cover any open solder joints.

Go for it.

4. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    ok thanks alot guys. also now that i made up my mind to do it, do you know someplace i can get a demeter pre online? i have been looking around and had no luck. but if not i will just get in touch with the company. thanks alot.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Retail this is one for Jom. As for preowned pieces, demeters are rare critters. Mostly outboards from what little I've seen of them.

6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You can purchase the Demeter online at Demeters web site (it's also the cheapest price that I've seen quoted) or you can also get the pre from bestbassgear.com. You'll get the personal service you need there (Brian is very helpful and is able to get more than one or two word answers from Demeter)

7. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    awesome thanks alot guys.