1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing an EMG pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tymophil, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    Hi all,

I want to put an EMG 40DC pickup inside an Aria Pro TSB-550 bass. I have checked the EMG site, but some informations are still unclear.

In my bass, there is a tiny "tunnel" between the pickup cavity and the electronics cavity. Will I need to modify anything to the "quick connect" cable to be able to have it get through the tunnel ?

Do I need to add springs to the screws ? The EMG data sheet tells that there is foam in the package. Is that sufficient ? Do I simply have to screw in the wood, or do I need to do something else beforehand ?

Which distance can I expect between the potentiometers in the "Quick connect" set ? I have three holes in my bass, and don't want to make new holes.

Thanks in advance.

2. The quick connect end likely won't fit through the "tunnel", but that should be OK - "thread" the wire only end through from the pickup cavity.

I like springs, though they can be hard to find. As far as foam, the "foam" EMG give you is crap - use an old mousepad - layyer as needed - you can get a very firm but adjustable mounting that way - been doing that for years, and has a bass with a 40DC btw mounted on the mousepad - works great.

Pot distance - those come PRE-WIRED, so depenindg on your bass you MAY need to re-do that.

Jamie

3. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    LMAO. I just did that on my bass and I got a little freaked cause it worked so well I thought I must have done something wrong....too funny to see someone else did the exact same thing with the same results. Two layers of mouse pad, foam on top, pickups rest PERFECT and sit just right when screwed down.

4. Yeah - been doing that since my first 40DC install in '95 - totally firm feeling taht stil allows adjustment. 10+ years later and no degradation....plus a use for all those mosuepads I collected over the years :)

Jamie

5. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    Exactly the same thought I had. Was mounting the pickups and the foam was just floppy for lack of a better word...looked over and saw a stack of mousepads that had been collecting dust and thought what the heck....cut em up, in they went and now the pickups don't budge at all unless I adjust the screws.