Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing an LED light on a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattm0805, Feb 3, 2006.

1. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    I was wondering if someone could shed some light :rollno: ...(sorry for the terrible joke) on this.

I have a DOD overdrive pedal and was wondering where I can get an LED light, which one I need, and to what do I solder it to?

Thanks for the help.

2. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    Has the pedal already got an LED fitted and you want to replace it or are you wanting to add one from scratch?

You can get a LED from any electronics store, theres not one that you "need" any should do fine.

I dont know about soldering from scratch but if your replacing/changing one thats already fitted just un solder that and fit the new one in its place.

3. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    It didn't come with an LED. I will be installing it from scratch.

4. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Information from analogman web site:
    These pedals are not true bypass, but due to the simple design they really don't suck tone when OFF. There is no resistance on the input when OFF, and just a tiny bit of capacitance. The capacitance is about .001uF on the stock one and about less than .01uF after the mod. That is similar to the capacitance in a quality 15 foot guitar cable- you probably can't hear it. But if you want, we can do a true bypass mod along with the Grey DOD250 mods by installing a 3PDT True bypass switch ($15) and LED ($10, red, yellow, or Green). We can also change the 1/8" MXR style power jack to a Boss style, for $10 (an option on the mod form) and you can order our Generic ($15) or Boss ($20) adaptor on the mod form too. In order to install an LED, we need to change the switch to a 3PDT True Bypass switch.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You're looking at a $40 pedal here. You'll need a resistor, values vary depending on the color and size of your LED, an LED, LED bezel unless you want to hot glue it in place, and a 3PDT switch. Those parts, including shipping will be almost half the price of that pedal or more.

Do some reading up on www.diystompboxes.com and I believe they have an article over there about adding an LED. It's a fairly simple conversion if you understand anything about electronics, and how they work. If not, I suggest you read up a LOT before jumping in, soldering is not an easy thing to do at first. Either that, or send it out to have one added for you.

Based on what I've seen, if you have to ask this question, you need to do a LOT of reading before you jump in. www.diystompboxes.com has plenty of great reading to help you out in your ventures.

- OR -

Simply leave it be and let your ear tell you if it's on or not.

6. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I know its a cheap pedal, but I really like the sound. It sounds like its not even worth the trouble. I'm skilled with a soldering iron, but I don't want to go spend $40 when I got the pedal for $20. The reason I am using it is because it sounds different from my Fulltone bassdrive. I really would like to upgrade to a nicer pedal, Any thoughts on one that sounds and shaped like this DOD?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you like it that much keep it. Do you feel that a LED is absolutely necessary for you, to consider it a "good pedal"?

In that case, you may choose to check out the MXR Distortion + which is based off of the same design. Costs more, has an LED, but the same basic circuit, sound, size and controls.