Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing an OBP-1 in a Marcus Miller IV

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marlat, May 26, 2005.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have a Marcus Miller IV that plays like liquid jesus, but the preamp suck ass. I have a spare OBP-1 lying around and was wondering whether anyone had installed on in a Marcus Miller IV and whether the result was okay?

Did it require routing for the second battery and preamp module?

Also, what would be a good pickup match for them assuming I wanted to replace the stock pickups?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I ran an OBP-1 on 9v and it did fine. Don't know which model you have but the later ones are a fraction of the size and may allow the option for 18v install. I would go with 9v rather than consider use of a router. If space is really close to making it, another thought might be mini pots which can be filled to snug them in the bass. Those Fender pots are huge and the mini-pot's make a lot more room in the control cavity for battery space. You need to think about the fit of the knobs if you go that route - or change any of the pots for whatever reason.

Never had a Fender Bass but a set of pups out of an MM are my pick of the Fender pups to date. I would try the pups with the pre before thinking of moving them on.

It's a good idea to keep them (and all original parts) regardless for when sale time comes. Another reason not to use a router and keep any mods reversable. Most players don't want to buy a bass that's been jacked with. Plus you can pull the upgrades and stick them in something else or sell them seperately.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You could also use a Fishman Voltage Doubler (I think that what's it called...) with a single 9V battery to create an 18V system.