1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installing ashtray and bell cover on J Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I'm trying to install an ashtray and the bell pickup cover on a '75 MIJ Jazz reissue. The problems are two fold. One is that the bell cover tha I have appears to be too wide for the two holes that are in the pickguard which I assume are the holes for the cover. The second is the location of the holes for the ashtray. There is no guide for this and I'm wondering if anyone knows a reference for positioning this. Thanks.

Geoff

2. I just put some on my MIJ fretless a couple of months ago. I just compressed the pickup cover until the holes lined up and screwed it on. To position the bridge cover, I took measurements from a Fender catalog and converted them to full size, measured it u on my bass, positioned the cover just to make sure it looked right, drilled and screwed it into place. It looks and plays fine. I assume you're using genuine Fender parts.

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Yes, I wasn't aware that the bell cover needed to be compressed, but I can see how it fits on now.

Thanks.

Geoff