Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing ashtray and bell cover on J Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Jul 11, 2004.

1. I'm trying to install an ashtray and the bell pickup cover on a '75 MIJ Jazz reissue. The problems are two fold. One is that the bell cover tha I have appears to be too wide for the two holes that are in the pickguard which I assume are the holes for the cover. The second is the location of the holes for the ashtray. There is no guide for this and I'm wondering if anyone knows a reference for positioning this. Thanks.

Geoff

2. I just put some on my MIJ fretless a couple of months ago. I just compressed the pickup cover until the holes lined up and screwed it on. To position the bridge cover, I took measurements from a Fender catalog and converted them to full size, measured it u on my bass, positioned the cover just to make sure it looked right, drilled and screwed it into place. It looks and plays fine. I assume you're using genuine Fender parts.

3. Yes, I wasn't aware that the bell cover needed to be compressed, but I can see how it fits on now.

Thanks.

Geoff