1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installing Casters On A Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Oct 29, 2016.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I recently purchased a Bergantino CN212 bass cabinet and want to install a set of casters to make it easier to move. I was originally going to install a set of Ernie Ball pop-out casters but Bergantino doesn't recommend these due to the softer wood of these series of cabinets. Instead they recommended installing a set of permanent caster using T-nuts and machine screws. I still want the option to remove the wheels so I found these removable caster plates I think will work:

Small Removable Caster Plate

Caster Wheel Supplier

Anyone install casters on one of these cabs? What were your results?

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That is very similar to the way Mesa does casters on their PH cabs and it works very well. I think their mounting systems and casters might be a bit more heavy duty (hard to tell from the pictures), but the CN212 is much lighter than a PH212 or PH410.

3. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Those Mesa casters look like 3" wheels. Bergantino didn't recommend anything over 2.5" because of balance issues with the cabinet. The Mesa 212 cab is 78 lbs. whereas the Berg cab is only 46 lbs.

4. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Forget casters and just use a lightweight collapsible hand truck.

shoot-r, tmw, Rugmaster and 9 others like this.
  5. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I installed a set of the Mesa plates & casters on my Eden D410XLT. Made a world of difference in portability compared to the factory popout casters. If you can find a similar solution I would highly recommend it.

PolkaHero likes this.
  6. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The Mesa hardware would be absolute overkill on the Berg CN212 - but the design approach is quite sound and scalable. I use the casters all the time when moving my Mesa PH cabs (except when I get help lifting on stairs). The Berg for me is a one hand carry (even with stairs) or I use a folding cart as Linnin suggested for really long load in/out situations. The casters from the catalog you linked seem like they would be fine if you actually want to modify the cab.

PolkaHero, MR PC and Linnin like this.
  7. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    CART B15 UPDATED LOW. Wow, if you need casters, aren't interested in just using a foldable lightweight aluminum hand cart like the ones from Magnacart, Wesco, ect.

Why not use a detachable dolly design, like the ones used on the old Ampeg B 15. Instead of drilling four holes in your cabinet, you'll only drill one. And you can use the casters of your choice without adding any more weight to your cabinet when it stands alone.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    ERIC31, dgrizzly, Klondike and 2 others like this.
  8. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I recall a buddy of mine using one of those on his B15 years ago. Excellent idea for getting the job done and minimizing impact on the cab.

SpruceApple likes this.
  9. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I just happen to have one of those but it's installed on my '66 B-15N cabinet.;)

Not sure how well it would work without the recessed cups built into the cabinet. Those would be a major pain to route/install.

Al Kraft likes this.
  10. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    There's always a "oh yeah, but..." when it comes to things like this isn't there? :)

11. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Nothing comes easy for sure! Details. . .

Al Kraft likes this.
  12. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    I haven't done heavy cab moving in many years but for a while I had good results using an $11 dolly from Harbor Freight (the bigger one, not the smaller one) and strapped the 2-15" cab on in both directions with flat nylon webbing from them or from Lowes. You could use tiedowns but the heavy hooks are unappealing in this app.

If you go with directly mounting casters be sure to use the caster type that mounts with a four-screw plate. DO NOT use the removeable caster that has an insert that you simply drill and pound into place. Voice of $ad experience here.

13. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Understand the need for casters, but don't like the cabinets sitting on them while playing.

My Ampeg had that mounted on the back side allowing you to pull the cabinet back onto the casters to move but it also meant the cabinet didn't sit on them when upright and playing.

Removable nice, but rather than have to remove 4 casters why not get a moving dolly from Home Depot for $ 30.00 and mount it via quick release?

Wheels.....3-4" minimum especially if pavement involved.

14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

this is my mode of transportation: works well for me.

i like the idea of casters, but: i've always found that after the box is fitted with them: the box no longer packs as easily (murphy's law), or has to be turned upside down to prevent rolling in some loads, or some other unexpected difficulty brought about just because 'they are there'! and casters don't make it easier to move the cabinet over gravel, some lawns, muddy or wet soil, yada yada.

(i have a large box filled to the brim with casters i once thought were a great idea. sometimes they actually were a +, but i don't do it anymore. a handtruck is too easy, and i can get everything in one 'push'.)

Klondike likes this.
  15. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    This is the way to go.

Manticore likes this.
  16. +1

Having had castors on my 412s I would never want them again. They were fine on flat hard level surfaces, anything else and you had to drag or carry the cabs.

A castor board I had (briefly) for moving PA cabs was worse, hit a different surface or ridge and the cab would slide off. Replaced that with a collapsible sack truck and wouldn't use anything else now.

Manticore likes this.
  17. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

I have one of these. Very sturdy & lightweight but maybe a bit pricy. I went through several other cheaper and I'll say lesser built ones that only lasted about a month until they broke or fell apart.

Hand Trucks R Us - Roughneck Folding Aluminum Hand Truck

Northern Tool has them for $80. May be even cheaper other places. I bought mine used at a pawn shop for $25

18. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I put the 3" Mesa Boogie casters on my Berg HT322 many years ago. They are great.
    Pictures in the middle of this thread:
    The Bergantino HT322 thread

19. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO Mesa Boogie casters are the most effective. They don't drop out after being used for a few weeks.

I use a trolley or dolly board (I have both). The benefit for me is that when I sell a cab and I've still got means of transport for the next one.

20. If they say the wood is too soft, they may know what they are talking about.
    That, alone, sounds like a big vote for a dolly or hand truck.
    Casters are a whole subject of their own.
    I like removable, so I can take them off to prevent rattles when playing,
    aiding floor coupling or stacking.
    2 inch removable casters cover most any indoor situation.
    If you plan to use them to roll into a gig, across the parking lot,
    3 inch minimum and that's if it's smooth.
    If you plan to roll across your grass from the house to the car
    4 inch minimum, wider wheels help and then all bets are off if it has rained.

Al Kraft, chris_b and JRA like this.