1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installing casters on a seemingly unopenable cab (SWR goliath 1)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flexiblemile, May 18, 2016.

1. flexiblemile

flexiblemile

Apr 19, 2016
    Hey guys,

Long story short:

I want to install casters on a 4x10 cab. However, before I start drilling into the wood, I want to make sure that I'm not going to accidentally drill into a wire or something.

However the problem is that I can't see any screws allowing me to open up the back so I can make sure no components are in the way. There are screws on the rubber stoppers on each of the eight sides but even if I were to take those off, the felt/fur covers the entire cab, it doesn't stop at the back

These are two pics I found on the internet that are the exact same as my cab. How would you go about solving this issue?

Smaller screws that might be less solid and take a chance? Simply getting a dolly?

Thanks for your advice!

Attached Files:

2. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & RVA
    1. Remove the grille
    2. Remove the speakers, at least the bottom 2
    3. Use machine screws (bolts) for your casters, with teenuts on the inside

wcriley and B-string like this.
  3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Houston, you are free to install casters.

4. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    I wouldn't worry. All the wires go from the back of the speakers to other speakers or the control plate, which way above where you are drilling. Just take it slow and feel for the break through on the other side and no more. Don't use excessively long screws, just big enough to get through the other side. You could probably use the existing hole that's already there for the plastic interlocking corners if you wanted to.