1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing DiMarzio Model J's on a Geddy Lee bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by open_space, Oct 25, 2009.

1. I have a question to all those who've installed DiMarzio Model J pickups on Fender Geddy Lee basses.

GL's have grounding metal plates on the bottom of pickup cavities. Since Model J's are taller than your typical jazz bass pickups, I was thinking of taking the grounding plates out of the cavities, so that I could have more space to lower the new pickups (I don't want them too close to the strings).

My questions is: when you installed yours, did you leave the metal plates or did you take them out? It seems that they don't really help when it comes to hum and noisy pickups.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The metal plates are what old Fender's used to use for shielding/ grounding. Unless you have a better plan for shielding, I'd leave them in and find another pair of p'ups to use

And what's wrong with the stock ones?

3. -1

Take them out. I doubt you will notice any difference, these Model J's are humbuckers anyways, it won't matter.

4. Nothing is wrong with the stock ones, just wanted to try different pickups. Had model j's in another jazz bass and loved them. The stock pickups are actually pretty good, but I want a more mid-focused sound, plus I play with the pick most of the time.

Plus I don't think the metal plates actually do anything in terms of shielding. GL hums a little bit just like my MIA Jazz did but the MIA Jazz didn't have the metal plates, so I think they really make no difference.

5. that's what I thought

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    line6man... is the man, so do what he says.

/thread.

7. The bass would sound a lot better if you sent it to me.
    Oh, make sure you spring for the overnight shipping. The standard rate is ok, but the strings might get too old and not sound as fresh by the time I receive the bass.
    :bag: