Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing Dominants

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by wd4dkv, Nov 9, 2005.

1. wd4dkv

wd4dkv

Nov 9, 2005
    Hi, After having read all the caveats about these strings I am a little concerned. How is it possible to avoid windings contacting the metal pegs or winding over itself? I will view the strings this afternoon, and perhaps it will become clear to me at that time. Seems that synthetic strings must "travel" a lot in their initial tuning/ break-in stage, and it would be nothing short of a miracle that they were exactly the right length to satisfy the instructions. Is it possible or advisable to cut or modify the strings?

If anyone reads this, and understands my concern, please write back quickly before I destroy my strings and my budget!
    Thanks, wd4dkv.

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    The way the rumor mill works here is fascinating... One or two guys break a string here and there and suddenly folks are terrified to install their strings....

String 'em up. If the metal winding reaches the peg, it reaches the peg. If the string breaks, contact Thomastik and have them send you a new one; if it's a string issue, the string manufacturer should take care of you. Smart money says you'll never have a problem.

3. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I was worried about this as well, from what I read here. I've had them on for a few weeks. The E just approaches having it's metal on the peg shaft.

No problems at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. wd4dkv

wd4dkv

Nov 9, 2005
    Okay...thanks a lot for the quick help! They're going on today, and no fear! Whatever happens, happens!

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Exactly.