Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing EMG's on my Yamaha

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Geej, Jun 9, 2005.

1. OK, I read the FAQ, and used the search function. I read about as much EMG threads as I could handle, but couldn't really get the kind of answer I wanted...

You'll have to forgive any "newbish" comments I make, because this will be one of the first times I've ever considered what a pickup is... and the very first time I'm going to try and change them...

OK!!
    Bass: Yamaha RBX765A (5 string)
    Current pickups: The stock pickups, 2 humbuckers
    Controls: 2 Band EQ - bass and treble boost and cut with centre reference point, Master volume and pan (like, decrease/increase volume in one of the pickups)

According to the Yamaha RBX765A thread the string spacing is 18mm at the bridge (I also measured it, it is)

Uses one 9v battery

My style of music:
    Good question... :confused: ... I like to jam with my friends, and that consists of alot of metallica, tool, APC... When I play at home I like to play some slap stuff (Marcus, Jamiroquai (sic)), jazz (Jaco), and funk (RHCP, Jamiroq.) ... I use both pick and fingers, depending on the situation (not at the same time :smug: )

So down to the point... I read in a few threads that people have installed EMG pickups in this particular bass with pleasing results... and I am quite interested in trying something new and trying my hand at installing a set of pickups...

Based on the spec's I have given, and the style of music I play... or even if you know what others have used... can you suggest the type of pickup I should install (model)?

Will I need to change the preamp in my bass?

Will I need to wire another battery in series for 18V?

SHOULD I try and do it myself or get a professional to do it? (I can solder and stuff, and I looked at the diagrams, I'm confident...)

This is possibly the noobest question I'm going to ask, the EMG are a rectangle shape and you screw them in right at the side... the ones on my yamaha at the moment have the whole pickup bit, then theres flat pieces extending out either side to screw them in... is that a problem? theres a picture incase u dont understand me... It's just that on the EMG website it says that the pickup length is 102mm... thats the same size as the actual pickup part on my yamaha... but when you include the extra part, its about 120mm

I think thats pretty much all I wanted to ask...

Thanks alot guys :cool:

Attached Files:

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Wiring up a couple of EMG's is the easiest thing in the world! Even i, a 15 year old norseman with frozen fingers installed a couple of EMG's in my bass without any problems at all!

:)
    -Erlend

3. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    I have the rbx775, and I'll be loading in the 45s, it's pretty much a perfect fit.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    The 45DC's were not a perfect fit on my yahama. THe extra bit of plastic made the hole 1/8th of an inch too big on each size. Not to worry though, it's really not that noticeable.

I don't know about wireing the pre-amp. I could not be certain that 1. the yamaha preamp would even work with the EGM design, and 2. the preamp wasn't part of the problem I had with the old electronics.
    It's my suggestion you rip out everything with a wire on it, and start over with all EMG parts. I don't even run a pre in mine, just volume volume tone. they sound and record great, and they make a yamaha play like a very expensive bass.

I have mine wired with 18V, but if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't. IT's overkill, and I'm constantly finding myself being too hot. Now If I had a preamp, I might reconsider that. If you are thinking of going 18V, you really shouldn't keep the yamaha pre, but I said that already, didn't I?

There is a slight bit of soldering involved, so if your not confident in your abilities you might want to get a pro to help you out.

Good luck, and post pictures or sound clips when you are done!

5. So 45DC's eh? those are in the 6 string series right? i didnt think of that :D cool... I think I will put an EMG preamp in... I'll try running it on 9V... but if that doesnt work out i can always put the extra batt in...

As for the preamp, i was thinking of going for this:
    EMG-BQC

I dont know about posting sound clips, i havent got anything decent to record them with :meh: , but pics, definetly :D ... I still won't have it done for a few weeks though

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    If you want to see and hear my bass, I have a music video posted at www.mesquitebible.org/video

It's a great upgrade, you won't regret it.

Mark

7. whoooaaaa... this may be a stupid question, but i have to ask :ninja: ....... i was looking at the dealer and EMG sites... and I get the impression that you only get 1 pickup in the package... is that true?... meaning I would need to buy 2 - and that wouldnt be cool :bag:

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    It's true, you buy them one at a time, but you can mix them up, likeput a 45j with a 45p, or maybe a 45P with a 45DC.

You're still going to be out only about $200. At least that is what they cost me.

9. Yea, I got the money to buy the stuff from selling some of my old gear ... I don't work or anything because im too busy with university... so I might just have to buy the 2 pups and no preamp... which i can buy later...

So should I mix and match them, or just stick with two 45DC's?

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    good question. If I had to do it all over again, I'd be tempted to put a 45P in the neck slot, but I don't have a beef with what I have.

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I would suggest a DC at the neck, and CS at the bridge...a little warmer. I love the DC on the neck slot, but the second one I had at the bridge was really harsh, so I traded with a friend to get a 40J for my fretless and bought the CS...another way to go would be a TW, dual mode (single/humbucker), basically a J/CS in one housing, switchable...still waiting on mine...

12. Yea, i was looking at the TW... sounds cool, lemme know how it goes eh :D

But thanks for all the suggestions guys... although its making it considerably harder to choose! oh the possibilities :hyper:

13. By the way tuBass, i checked out that vid... I was diggin ur tone man, or what i could hear of it anyways :cool: even if i wasnt exactly diggin the song ;)

NICE bass too :hyper:

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    yea, depending on your speaker system on your computer, the bass may of not be able to be heard. I have a pretty large woofer aimed right at my face, so it comes through just fine.

Thanks for the compliment about the tone and the bass. I designed the pickguard myself because I got tired of the look of a solid black bass. Too many fingerprints...

Sorry you didn't dig the message of the song, that's the kind of music I do 100%

to each his own... :D

15. Yea, i was only listenin to it through some headphones... but it sounds aaaaaaawesome when u chuck in the little fills :bassist:

to each his own indeed, i can respect that :D

edit: i think youve just about sold me on those pickups.. wo0t

16. Word, I'm 16 and I installed and soldered my EMG P set. I had to stuff the battery in and the pickguard doesn't sit right because the battery is bulky. But hey saved my @$$ from spending $50+ on something I did myself :D .

17. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    it's good to be me sometimes.... RRP$490AUD

EMG PJ

18. Have you done the mod yet? I was thinking of doing the exact same thing to my bass (which happens to be the same bass as that one).

19. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Don't forget you have to replace your pots with 25k pots.

20. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Don't the 25K pots ship with the pickups?