Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by somethingshort, Oct 28, 2003.

1. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    Well ok I know its a bass forum and all but I thought you guys might be able to help me out. I want to transfer a set of EMG 81 pickups from my ESP Explorer to my Les Paul. Everything looks ok except for the fact that there is a wire and 104k resistor (i think thats what it is) attached between the volume and the tone pots. The way my LP is routed, the wiring between the pots isnt a long enough reach. Anyone have any ideas on a way to work around this?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm not sure I completely understand, but I'll try. OK, first, are you sure that "resistor" isn't the tone capacitor? I've had factory-wired pots from EMG wired this way. In any case, why not just extend the leg that goes to the other pot with some wire? Or, if it is the tone cap, one leg can be grounded. If it really is a resistor, I don't know what it's for, since the basses I've wired with EMG's haven't had any resistors.

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I just did this last weekend. The capacitor that is coming off of the tone knob can be taken off of the volume and grounded right back to the tone knob. Try that.

4. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    thanks!

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    EMG does their tone control wiring kind of backwards...they put the cap first then the variable resistor (tone control) instead of the variable resistor and then the cap.

Extending the wiring is the easiest... If you rewire the tone control you're going to need to use some additional wire anyway.

Also, if you're soldering to the back of the control's case, don't keep the soldering iron there too long. I bought a used EMG preamp system and one of my volume controls was trashed from excess soldering temperature.

Have fun!!!!