installing ken smith humbuckers in a precision bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassmangreg, Jun 21, 2001.

1. I'm going to install some ken smith 4 string humbuckers
    in one of my precision basses and a lakland set-up in another
    and I would like to know of any wiring suggestions or thoughts
    on routing two innocent U.S.A made precisions ? I want to keep
    them passive.
  2. I've decided to hold on to this idea and maybe go with
    building some warmoth precision basses. I just don't
    want to part with these kensmith pick-ups and I think
    they would play well and I would also like the lakland
    set-up in a pbass. So, I'm going to go for building my
    dream 4 strings !!! Hey I get excited sometimes !!
    Besides , you should have seen the look on my wifes
    face when I suggested that I needed another bass.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds like a winner. If you cut up those P's to install the Smiths, there's no turning back, whether you like the result or not.

I have two setups; Bartolini 5 string soapbars and preamp and the same in a Duncan Basslines set, just waiting for something to do:D. Every time I start to research parts I get sidetracked with another "interesting" bass.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I dunno.
    I cut into a Jazz & installed Ken Smith soapbars + the preamp...there's a push/pull pot to by-pass 'active' mode & go to 'passive'. My Smith soapbars in passive mode are really weak & wimpy.
    I'm assumimg there's no room in your P-bass(like a rear route)for battery & preamp?
  5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

You could do a combo thing, too. Get a couple of warmoth replacement bodies routed for your Smith pickups and use the P necks and hardware. That way you only have to spring for the bodies and you can tell your wife you have the same number of basses still. It avoids routing the P bodies (which you can either sell or rebuild later) but leverages all the stuff you currently have.