Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing my new CD player

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ARA punk, Sep 21, 2002.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I just got my license, and i just got the money for a new cd player to put in my car. It's gonna be the changer, the kind that goes in the trunk. Problem is i have just enough money for the player... i'll be flat broke after buying it... meaning no money for the instalation. Is this something that i could install myself w/ some instructions, or would I need to scrap together the money to have a pro do it?

2. installing a player in your car shouldn't be too much trouble, although I don't know about the changer in the trunk... why do you want a changer in the trunk, though?

do you really feel like stopping and getting out of the car if you wanna put in a new cd?

I'd rather get either a changer that could go under the passenger's seat or just don't get a changer.

but anyway, I think you should be able to connect it by yourself if you just read the manual and/or do some search on the internet.

:)

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    what kinda car is it? I'm sure you can find a message board for people that own that type of car. I'm sure they could help you

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    is the factory radio the same size as the radio you're putting in?

if yes - then just follow the directions that come with the radio for installation and you'll be set

if NOT - then you'll need an adapter plate. not expensive (unless it's a ford taurus) but kinda tricky to install sometimes (mainly because the adapter plates are REALLY low quality 90% of the time)

i've put radios in more than a few cars. if you're good at following directions you'll be fine. one thing i do recommend getting is a harness adapter. this plugs into the plug that would plug into your factory radio, and has all the same wires that your new radio needs coming out the back. this way, you can get a nice full harness (splicing the adapter harness to your new radios harness) made without mucking around inside your dash (and it makes it a lot easier to actually solder the connections instead of electrical taping them together) you can get these at walmart or best buy.

let me know if you have any other questions.

5. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I fitted a 12 pack CD changer into the trunk of my Jeep Wrangler when I bought it. I went this way for a few reasons:

1)US radio sucks so much
    2)I wanted it out of sight for security reasons.
    3)US radio sucks so much

The type that I bought was one that'll play into any car radio - it uses a small RF modulator so that you tune it like any normal station. You can get ones that just plug into the back of your radio, depending on the radio. Sound is pretty good though and hey, it's a Jeep - never going to get real hifi. Main thing that's impressed me is that it has never skipped in 9 months (which is better than the factory ones I had in my last BMW and Honda).

I installed it myself in about 4 - 5 hours and it's really pretty simple. The only problem is running the cables backwards and forwards - at least in the Jeep it was easy 'cos it's so basic. In a more normal car it may be more challenging - you'll need to be able to lift your carpets and figure out a route for various power ( switched/ unswitched power, control cable and the RF feed back to the radio).

If you've got any sort of experience with electronics or can follow basic instructions you'll be OK, just read the instructions, the read them again a couple of times. A simple voltage detector (either a digital volt meter or a simple lightbulb and couple of wires) would be pretty useful.

There's no magic to it.

Regards,
    Andy

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Good advice, but be careful... many times its not as easy at it sounds. Me and a friend of mine tried to install a new CD player in his Honda, and we ended up tearing up his center console trying to get the OEM radio out. Now, we may not be installation experts, but we aren't idiots either. And, now that the console is torn up and we obviously tried to take the radio out, I seriously doubt that most car audio stores would touch the car. Unless the install is obviously easy to do, I'd recommend savind yourself the grief and finding the money for installation.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I feel your pain man. Just for installation of a CD player in my '84 Impala it'd be in between $100 & $150 + the cost of whatever unit i want. I'm trying to find a more cost efficient thing to do-all i've got is AM radio and am wondering what would be cheapest. thats all

8. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Go to crutchfield.com
    They sell all kinds of car audio components, installation gear, hardware, etc. They also have a wonderful help desk. Give the 800 number a call, and they will tell you if need a kit to install it or not.

9. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    their prices are too high though

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    You want some great help, go to www.caraudioforum.com

Great site, lots of information, and they can help if you're interested in getting a new system as well, which is how I found out about it.

11. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    alright.... was looking around at Best Buy, asked the guy how much installation would be. He said it would b $70 flat for the one i wanted. Apparantly Best Buy has pretty good installation fees if you aren't willing to do it yourself.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you go the best buy route-i'd wait till they're running free installation. When i went there to see how much it'd be to get one installed in mine-it'd be $120 for installation since they'd have to rewire part of my car [since it's an '84 & the speakers aren't grounded]. thats all

13. Why in the name of Zeus's butthole would you go from a BMW to a Jeep!?!? Especially a Wrangler? Those are POLAR OPPOSITE driving experiences!