Installing new bridge (is this the right section??)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gintaras, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Was not sure where I should ask this question. I want to replace the bridge on my Squier 5 precision. Want a string thru but not sure about placement. I have been fervently looking through this site and others and having a problem finding what I need.

I have all of the tools and wood working expertise available to do this. (I have a woodworking shop at a boatyard available to me. These guys build custom boats and all play guitar. They have helped me on some other projects but no one has installed a new bridge on a bass before)

this project is a learning experience. I would not attempt this on a MTD.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Assuming you can not or simply have not bought one that is simply a retrofit (holes align and it bolts right down) there are a few things you have to consider.

1. First, fill the old holes with either epoxy-based woodfiller or drill them out and dowel them.

2. I think the best thing is to cover the area of the new bridge with a layer of masking tape first. This allows you to mark placements of parts and drill holes easily and adds a little protection while working.

3. Adjust the saddles on the new bridge so that there is an equal amount of adjustment available forward or back.

4. Then place the bridge on the body so that the distance from the witness point of the saddles to the leading edge of the nut is equal to the scale length of the bass (probably 34")

5. Mark the proper placement of the bridge and mark the screw holes in order to pre-drill the pilot holes for the screws.

6. Before you drill, you should measure carefully from the edge of the bridge to the G string side of the last fret and then the E string side, making sure the two measurements are equal. Also make sure the bridge is centered vertically with neck. You may want to mark an center point on the bass using the old holes for reference.

7. Repeat step 6.

8. Repeat step 6.

9. Repeat step 6.

10. Repeat step 6.

11. Drill the holes and install screws. If there is a ground wire coming from the inside of control area, make sure it makes firm contact with the bottom of the bridge. If the bridge is chromed, you may want to sand or grind away the chrome where it contacts the wire.
  3. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I am on my 4rth house restoration and I have learned to measure twice cut once the hard way.

Thanks for the info and this was exactly what I was looking for!!!!