Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing New Pickups On My J-Bass MIM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AngryArgentine, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Hey,
    I just ordered some Seymour Duncan actives for my jazz bass and besides having to modify the bridge wood to fit the pickup, what else will I have to do? A lot of soldering? Am I better of just having it done at a music shop?
    -Julian

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Rick,

When I did the SD's in my MIM Jazz I did not have to trim the bridge cavity at all. I only had to remove a small amount of mold flashing off the bottom of the pickup cover with an Exacto. I did, however, have to slightly modify the pickguard cutout for the neck pickup since the screw spacing is a little different. Not a big deal. As far as the soldering, it's not a big deal either and there should be room for the battery. If you are comfortable using a soldering iron and own a decent one, it should be no problem.

3. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I did the soldering when I put in my new Pup's. The soldering will be at a minimum. It wasn't that bad. It got a little messy but I managed to get it to work. If you do a search on the internet you'll find some good websites for soldering, especially the ones on electronic kits. Just practice on something else before you start.

4. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i'm suprised you need to do any chopping - my replacement SD'd dropped straight in.

5. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I put a set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz into my MIM JazzBass. I had to file off some of the wood for the bridge pickup. I also had to work on the pickquard to get the neck pickup to fit in because the pickup cover was shaped a little different. The whole process including waiting for my soldering iron to warm up took about an hour. And it looks great. You can't tell.