1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installing new speakers in Ampeg cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gdavis400, Apr 24, 2006.

1. gdavis400

gdavis400

Apr 24, 2006
    new york
    I was thinking of buying an Ampeg cabinet without speakers and installing my Bugera aluminum cone speakers in it. Is this a good idea, or just a waste of time?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The other way around would make more sense, though not much more. You can't mount any old driver in any old cabinet and expect a good result. They must be matched. But even worse, you're proposing the equivalent of buying an engineless Toyota and installing in it an engine from a KIA. You'd just end up with a cab that looks nice and sounds like crap.

3. +1

Why were you wanting to do this? If you tell us what you're trying to accomplish maybe we can point you in a better direction.

4. gdavis400

gdavis400

Apr 24, 2006
    new york
    I want a good sound, but I dont have a lot of money to spend.

5. gdavis400

gdavis400

Apr 24, 2006
    new york
    Also, I love aluminum cone speakers, and I dont know of an Ampeg cabinet with those

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    There's a Hartke 8x10" that's in fact cheaper than an Ampeg 8x10".

ANDRUCA

7. Aluminium cones say bright and modern sounding to me, that just isnt the ampeg sound (not with the classic series anyway)

So maybe better looking somewhere else? or just getting a behringer 810

8. Since KIA and Toyota both make very good cars, it's not really an equivalent I'd say. But still, you are right that it wouldn't work.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I own a Toyota. I've ridden in a KIA, an experience which I can only equate with being in a garbage can on wheels, although I suspect a garbage can is built from a higher grade of steel.

10. Probably, didnt think they were using steel as much in cars these days :p

11. Wow.

Take a good look underneath one of each, then try to perform routine service on each, then tell me that. The difference is more stark than anybody can say. You have to see it...

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I think this is probably the best response so far. If you really like aluminum cone cabs, buy a used Hartke on ebay and save time, money and the headache of trying to find drivers that will work in an Ampeg cabinet.

13. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Contact your local Guitar Center.
    See if they can ship between stores.
    The local Guitar Center here in Columbus has a used Hartke 810xl cabinet for $399.
    It's in good shape and does not buzz.I looked into the cab and it's 4 ohms rated for 800 watts.

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I agree, buy the used Hartke cab, or for that matter, leave the Bugera drivers in the Bugera cab. In both cases, you will have the drivers in the cab that they were designed for.