Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing new strings trouble, low tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lorenzini, May 14, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I tried the "installing new strings" link in the newbie area, but that brings me to a blank page.

So I'm making a new thread hopefully to get assistance on this.

My G&L L-2500 needed new strings, so I bought a set of Ken Smith Taper Core lights (40-58-80-102-120)
    This was going from medium gauage (45-105 approx).

After re-stringing the strings feel floppy and buzz and rattle all over the fretboard. The neck also feels as though it's bowing in (toward the pickups or whatever) so I was wondering if I should tighten my trussrod by just a little -- but I could be imagining this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    After playing it a bit and thinking about it, I was wondering if tightening the trussrod, then raising the saddles a little bit would help fix this problem.

It's not THAT bad, but they aren't just buzzing, they are rattling. Especially the B and E strings.

EDIT:
    I reposted this in the setup forum because this isn't the proper area, I guess.

3. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    You need to check your relief, to determine if you need to tighten or loosen your trussrod. However, if it did not rattle before the change, then you probably need to loosen it just a bit. You need to get the relief set correctly, and then you make any changes at the bridge saddles for your preferred action height.