Installing new strings trouble, low tension

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lorenzini, May 14, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My G&L L-2500 needed new strings, so I bought a set of Ken Smith Taper Core lights (40-58-80-102-120)
    This was going from medium gauage (45-105 approx).

After re-stringing the strings feel floppy and buzz and rattle all over the fretboard. The neck also feels as though it's bowing in (toward the pickups or whatever) so I was wondering if I should tighten my trussrod by just a little -- but I could be imagining this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It feels now as though it might be good to tighten the truss rod and then raise the saddles.

That combination may take away the buzz, I'm not sure.
    After playing though, it doesn't seem TOO bad. The action just has to be a bit higher than normal on the B and E strings, but perhaps this is because of the lower gauge string?

3. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It has sat for a bit. Not big change.
    I'm not sure, but do old strings have less tension?
    The previous strings seemed to have hardly any tension either.

Maybe that just depends on the string brand though...

The relief is perfect (credit card thickness).

Not sure what to do next :p I think I'll give the trussrod a nice easy crank.
  4. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    yes the bass is in proper tune...

Hmm, I really am starting to think it's the strings!
  5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Going from Reg mediums to TC light is quite a change in tension. TC Medium would be slightly less tension as well. Then there is ML/reg, ML/TC, Lt/Reg and then the Light TC that you tried. The Bridge saddles should be checked for slot width, depth and angel, The Truss rod slightly loosened and the Bridge saddles as well must be raised because the string is sitting near the center just below tyhe Core wire and not on the bottom of the regular part of the string. The thicker the TC string is, the more the difference. I hope this helps you...
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Exactly! When switching from non-tapered strings to taper-core, you need to raise the bridge saddles to achieve the same distance from the top of the frets to the bottom of the (non-tapered area of the) TC strings.