installing new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Aug 9, 2001.

1. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    I am putting my new strings on and i can not get my d string to stay in the peg. it keeps poping out and slipping out when i try to tune it up to pitch. what am i supposed to do about this?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Is there at least a small lenght of string that comes out of the peg's hole?
    The trick is to wind the first turn on one side of the excess string, then wind the rest on the other side so when you bring up the tension, the excess string will be strangled between the turns, if you know what I mean.
    (my primary language is french so it's not easy for me to describe all this in english...)

Hope this helps!
  3. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    i just tried this and it did not work. it sliped of again.
  4. Is there enough to go through the hole, around, and through the hole again? I watched my teacher/luthier re-string my DB recently and this was his method. He started by cutting the string so that it was about 8 or 9 inches above the peg. The D is usually the most awkward as it's the one with the least room in the peg-box.

- Wil
  5. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    I finally got it! I wound the string through the hole twice instead of just once and this makes it impossible to slip. thanks!
  6. Just try putting your E thru twice.:)
  7. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    Very funny, I have tried that before.
  8. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I played classical guitar for a year before switching to bass guitar(picking up DB this summer). I tell you what, there is nothing quite as bad as stringing a classical's nylon top strings! But anyway, what I would do is wrap the end around the post once before putting it through the hole. I would take the tip of the string OVER the long side of the string when it encounters itself again, then go down through the hole. Clamping effect. I would also sometimes put it through the hole twice like you all said. That works well too. Seeing as I have no experience stringing a DB, you can all feel free to ignore this if you want. Just thought I'd share. Oh, almost forgot, definitely leave as much spare string hanging out the end of the peg hole so if it slips a little before "clamping" on itself you're still ok. I also read in BP magazine that you aren't supposed to cut the ends of DB strings anyway, so that's probably good advice to follow.
  9. Amen to that. If u want a challenge, try re-stringing a Classical guitar. Possibly the hardest instrument to restring.
  10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I dunno, I heard piano is a little tricky.
  11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Never had a major problem re-stringing my classical. Getting the bridge end right is the hardest. Now my electric, on the other hand... those slip out, especially the top E. Can't wait to change my DB strings. Never done it before. :eek:
  12. billyfalconer

billyfalconer Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Buda (Austin) TX, USA
    I've read and heard repeatedly, including from manufacturers, that you shouldn't do that. It can lead to the string separating and unwinding internally.
  13. pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
  14. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1. I'd never cut them. Here's a nice link that's been cited here before.
  15. CPike

May 28, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I play classical guitar as well, and when I was young had lots of difficulty stringing - but after experimenting I figured out a few tricks, including the clamping effect you mentioned. This won't work on DB for a couple of reasons. First, the A & E strings are too thick, and the peg hole is normally too small to allow this. Second, a nylon classical guitar string is thin and flexible enough to withstand being bent over itself without breaking, but the multi-layered core and wrapping construction of a DB string would likely break before you got the loop close enough to clamp.