Installing Nordstrand's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 29, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I got my "new to me" Nordstrand NJ4SE's in the mail today. I pop open my four string MIA Fender Jazz to remove the old pickups. I notice on the stock pup's that the pole pieces on the D and A string are higher than the E and G. The outer sets of poles ar epretty much flush, while the middle sets of poles are raised up an 1/8th or so.

When I examine the Nordstrands, the pole pieces are a pretty much the same height on all four sets of pole pieces. It doe snot appear as though I can adjust the height of the pole pieces.

Is this a problem?

2. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    It's only a problem if you notice that the output of the center strings is lower than the output of the outer strings. The NJ4SE's should be good to a 10" radius at least. If you look at the bottom of the pickup, you might notice that the outer two sets of magnets are a little shorter than the center two sets and this helps with balancing the output. If you feel that the output is uneven let me know and I'll see if we can't take care of you by swapping the pickups for a raised center pole set.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thank you kindly Carey for your comments. With the limited amount of knowledge I have, when I saw the pickups I thought something happened to them in shipping since the pole pieces looked so much different from the stock pup's in the Fender.

I am going to try and install them this morning.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Carey....When you say "up to a 10" radius" do you mean from more flat, or from lower numbers? Would this be a problem with your typical four-string Fender Jazz bass?