1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing P pickup into a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Mar 12, 2009.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Has anyone replaced the neck pickup of a jazz with a p pickup? How hard is the process, routing out the hole, finding a pickguard etc.

Any experience?

2. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Anyone? :confused:

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Though I personally never felt the need to install a P pickup in a J bass if I were to I'd obtain the pickguard first before routing the cavity to use the pickguard cutout as a reference for where to rout.

The closet I've gotten to installing a P pickup in a J is the Bartolini 9J side-by-side dual coil humbucking J pickup. I currently use that in my #1 J bass. While it doesn't sound exactly like a P but it does have the humbucking feature with just the neck pickup selected and it has a bit more low mid than the stock J neck pickup. However, the 9J is lower output so I kicked up the gain a smidge on the amp.

4. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    How could i get a pickguard with the P cutout?
    Would the warmoth one fit an older model MIM?

5. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Try to find a Reggie Hamilton bass pickguard, or maybe an Aerodyne guard. Either one of those should work.

6. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Not too sure about the Aerodyne guard, but if you can get your hands on a Reggie Hamilton pickguard, and you've got yourself a MIM Jazz body already, you probably don't even need to do any routing. I've owned the Reggie (MIM), and several other MIM Jazz's and I can tell you first hand that they've got the same routing to them. The Jazz pickup route (the J normally just floats in there) is plenty big for the P pickup. I have a tracing of the RH pickguard. If you'd like, I can scan it and send it to you?

7. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Go to www.warmoth.com they have jazz pickguards with P pickup. Hope this helps.

8. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    The warmoth pickguard is probably a good choice, but with that one you'll definitely have to do some routing, as it's a bit farther back than what you'd find with the Reggie.

9. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    When did you have the reggie? Because im pretty sure the newer models have the p pickup slightly closer to the bridge.

But you reckon a p would fit into the hole thats already routed for the j? Also the warmoth pickguard said it may not fit an MIM, does anyone dealt with this before?

10. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh and...

Yes please, if its not too much of a hassle :)

11. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    If you've not used a router before, I'd think twice before using it on a bass! Best find a local luthier who has a jig, etc. to do this for you.