1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing Pbass PU Cover

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Robert Spencer, Jun 28, 2012.

1. I want to be sure that I hit wood & not put a pilot hole into the PU route when installing the two screws attaching the PU guard onto a Pbass. Any hints for doing it with only two holes? Thanks & take care. Bob

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You could lift the pickguard and have a look. :D

3. that strikes me as kind of like removing the pan from your 96tbird engine to check the volume of oil rather than using the dipstick as a point of reference. But thank you for trying.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    more like popping the hood on your VW to see if the engine is in there or in the back ;)

anyway, my '96 american standard P has a 62RI pickguard on it, and the two pre-cut holes for the metal cover are very much over wood.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Not if the internet didn't exist. But it does so you get to ask, and I get to make an old fashioned DIY suggestion.

6. You don't really need to hit wood. The PG is thick enough to anchor the screw nicely.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the finished product looks very nice!

with that one-off body and "mystery" cover, none of our measurements would be useful to you anyway.

it almost doesn't matter, because the cover should only really go in one spot, centered over the pickups; if the screw hits air, get a longer screw so that it hits wood, too.

8. Pilgrim & walter you make good points. Centered it shall be then. Take care. Bob

9. :)

10. Just make sure it isn't upside down.

11. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    take the pcikguard off and make the holes in it. Then put it back and make holes into the wood using the pickguard holes as guide.

12. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Wow, you installed a pickup cover and went from Fiesta Red w/ white to a lovely wood grain with tort. You must have placed those screws in just the right spot!

Seriously, that's a really nice finished product there.

13. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Nah ... looks more like Dakota Red, to me.

;)

14. Man, that new color has a TON of character!! I like it! Also, very crafty use of Tru-Oil. It should give you a solid top coat.

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Very, very pretty Bob. Love the sb on the front; very rich. Did I miss it: is it a Xaviere neck?

16. Lovely bass!

17. 96tbird wrote: is it a Xaviere neck?

The bass is an S-1 which is a Samick sub name. The neck is stock. All I did was change colors and add PG & chrome guards. I do not like red anything. Just me.
    Forgot to mention that I used Watco Danish ( light walnut) over the yellow food color to warm it up. It was too lemon like without that. Thanks & take care. Bob