Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing pickup leads

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tplyons, May 31, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just bought a vintage Dimarzio Model P with PAF sticker, but the leads were cut. Does anyone know who I can send this to to have new leads installed, what to ask for and approx. how much it should cost?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Any of the guys that rewind can probably accomodate. Dan Armstrong (or might be Kent) has recieved optimal kudo's for TB'rs as of late for some vintage stuff. I'm guessing it would cost more than it would to replace it. You can buy a later day Model P for $50 used and I doubt they've changed to any degree since day one.

By leads cut, you mean flush with the pup? You can solder onto any lead that's accessible. Even if flush, the later days ones seem have that "plastic" around the lead which you may be able to pry up or, although messy, take a solder tip and melt around the lead enough to access the wire. If well done, they'd probably remain insulated. The older ones may not be that way.

If nothing else, you might call Dimarzio and see what they have to say.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I am a huge fan of modern Model P's but I'd like to have a vintage replacement for vintage instruments, ya know? And I've found the older Model P's to sound just a bit sweeter. If it's not going to be too much, I'd like to have an original repaired (I've got $25 invested, hopefully new leads can be tacked on by a pro for about that) and they even have PAF stickers.

Besides, gotta love the yellowed cream cover and rusty polepieces.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Man, if those pups could talk (in English I mean).

You've got ample lead to tag onto. If you've got continuity and about the same DCR, you're good to go. Just get some more lead, small shrinkwrap (over by the wirenuts in Home Depot), solder whatever you want on, shrinkwrap the connections, load and fire. Anybody that can use a soldering gun can do it.

A little Fortuitous Synchronicity, a dude in the know with Dimarzio just emailed me and happened to mention the old Model P's are differenct in DCR although he didn't say how much or which direction. So there is likely a noticeable difference in them.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It'll work, but I'd rather have it done properly. It's been in and out of so many basses I presume, that I figure a new set of leads wouldn't hurt. I got them for a good price, so I'll put the money into making them perfect, ya know?

And yes, I bet they have a lot of stories to tell. I may just tack them together temporarilly, but before a permanent installation, they'll be perfect.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You're right, I don't plan on cracking the case, just installing leads from the beginning. I've gotten price quotes of $20 (certainly a little more than soldering new leads to what's there, but I've made it clear I don't want the pickup opened)