Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing PickUups w/ No Experience

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DeCayING, Dec 14, 2003.

1. DeCayING

DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    Kentucky
    I plan on installing new pick-ups on my bass and I was wondering if it is easy enough to do it even though I have no experience with it.

2. If you're swapping between the same type of pickup (ie j for a j, p for a p) its pretty much a matter of desoldering the appropriate wires from the appropriate pot, removing the pup, sticking the new ones in and soldering the appropriate wire to the appropriate pot.

I've never tried it (and I have third degree burns from my last go at soldering, I blame the iron) so I can't really say its easy as but if you know your way around a soldering iron it shouldn't be too hard.

Josh D

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    do it, itll be fun. As long as you can solder youll be fine. You cant really hurt the pickups and youll only learn. I tried doing this a few years ago when i realized most of the music stores around here couldnt do it. Every time someone wanted new pickups they had to wait a week or 2. I learned to do it and now i put all my friends pickups in. If your going from active to passive or vice versa make sure and change the pots, thats it though, good luck

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Learn how to solder first. Practice on something other than your bass.

Put the bass on a surface that won't damage it while you work on it.

Take large hi-res pictures before you desolder anything.

Probably sounds silly but don't desolder at the pickup.

Adjust the height after you install. The height can make a major difference as far as overall tone and volume. IMO closer to the string (up to a point) is better.

Have fun and don't burn yourself.

5. get a good solder iron...25w min to make the pot body connections quickly..
    practice and if possible get someone to show you how to use the flux cored wire...
    patience and observation is the clue...
    its easy to say its easy but when what is uppermost in your mind is if you make a mistake it doesnt feel easy....
    just have a go on bits of wire to get the feel..
    and take the iron away from the joint quickly to let it cool.
    :cool: