1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing s1 switch on fender jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kombo, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    I know it switches between parallel, what sound change does this make, will it make a difference if I still run it through my sansamp, and lastly, how do I do it and find the parts? Thanks guys!

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I think it is a mod worth doing even though I have only done it once on a GL Jazz. I always have a hard time describing sounds, but it gives a much bigger stronger sound that is definitely different than standard Jazz sounds. If you google Jazz S1 mod, you will find a ton of information including YT vids to help. As far as parts go, all you really need DPDT miniswitch or you can replace one of the current pots with a a push/pull pot. If you use the switch, you will have to drill a hole in the control plate, but no big deal. The nice part about this mod is that if you don't like it, you just don't use it...

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You can buy the real Fender S1 center push for not too much knob choices are limited to Strat and P I think though. Knobs are bought separately.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  5. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I did it last week and I like a new sound option very much. I had an extra switch on control plate that wasnt in use so it was just 1/2 hour of wireing and soldering.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I have done it 3 ways push pull, push push and on 3 Jazz Basses used the Fender S-1 and knob with center push button and I can tell you the Fender S-1 is easier to wire up, smoother quicker operation and looks good. Don't let anyone try to tell you it is hard to tell what position it is in. You can see it and feel the edge of the outer knob with your finger when depressed

9. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
  10. It definitely makes a difference. I like it so much that I've wired all by basses in series.

11. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I too like series mode but also have use for parallel mode. Series is bigger, fatter tone similar but not exactly like a P bass. The series mode has slightly muted highs

12. My Rickenbacker was perfect for series wiring.

LoveThatBass likes this.