Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing speaker question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deepestend, Nov 15, 2004.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I'm got a good price on a 4x10 that needed to have one speaker replaced. When I bought it, the bad speaker had already been removed. I just opened up the cab last night and could only find two wires going to the place that the speaker should be. All the other speakrs seemed to have 4 wires going to them. Is this right? Should there be four? This is an ampeg 410he.

Thanks in advance.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My guess is that one of the other speakers has only two wires going to it too...

If you PM Ampeg Insider, I'm sure that he'll give you all the help with wiring that you'd ever need.

IIRC, the 410HE uses four 32 ohm speakers connected in parallel. You might ask Jerrold (Ampeg Insider) about that too... If they are 32 ohms, you have limited choices for replacements...

Have fun!!!!

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There are 4 32 ohm speakers in the cabinet.

So, the speaker with 2 wires is the "last one in line", since there are no more speakers to connect to. The wires should just jump from speaker to speaker, one series on all the "+" and one on all the "-" terminals, IIRC. So all but one have a wire "from" tha last one and "to" the next. The last just has the "from" wire.

If it doesn't look like that, PM me and we will figure out what's up with yours.

4. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I just went ahead and did it last night...and it worked-- but your advice confirms it. Thanks for taking the time to answer this-- hopefully it will help someone in the future.

J-R