1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installing strings without cutting

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gorn, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My main bass is a carvin LB90, with a short stubby 2 by 2 headstock. I find myself continually trying new strings and then once they're off, they're no good to anyone else unless they have a 2 by 2 stubby headstock. Is there a way to string up a bass without cutting at all? Like if I ran the string through the post rather then putting it in the hole, wrapped it around and let the excess poke out, would it be stable? Temporarily at least till I decide if I like them? So if i dont, then I can put them jn the classifieds. This description makes sense in my head but might sound like gibberish. I'm very tired.

2. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    It really is a crapshot on whether or not the string would hold beyond the point of where you put it in the hole and start twisting after you take it off. I know it will work because I have done this on my Kramer Duke, but generally I'll cut it as I don't change strings often.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm a compulsive string changer. 1) because I haven't found strings I really love both the feel and sound of, and 2) for some strange reason I really enjoy stringing basses.

4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I guess it would be theoretically possible to wrap the entire excess string around the post assuming you have enough post there to accommodate all of it.

But that would likely make stringing the bass a 2 man pain-in-the-butt to manage and probably require some ingenuity and artistry on how to wrap that much string in a stable manner.

I have no idea on how to do it.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I see what you mean. Ubass players will know what I'm talking about cuz you don't put the string in the hole. You just string through and wrap it around so that's what I was thinking in my head.

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You could, but I would just measure out about how much you would need to wrap it around a straight-four style head and wrap it as best you can on the 2-2 head. Easier than trying to faniggle the string onto the tuner without putting it inside the tuning post.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The D and G strings can have a bunch of wraps and still fit.