1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing Supertone on Epi EB3

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Feb 5, 2016.

1. I have acquired an Epiphone EB3 that, surprisingly, I like a lot better than the old one I had many years ago. I then had a problem with the bridge studs pulling up (probably an improper suet-up on my part). To replace with the Supertone bridge seems the best proactive solution; question is, does the Epi bridge simply pull out or is it glued in? And, how hard is it to install the new Supertone? I've worked on Fenders all my life, but this would be a new adventure. Any suggestions from others who have done this would be greatly appreciated

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
  3. I'm answering your post backwards, bear with me:

1. I put a SuperTone in my Allen Woody. It is a DIRECT REPLACEMENT -- The Epi bridge unscrews from the studs and the ST screws directly in its place. Easy-peezy, livin' steezy.

2. Now, regarding the studs pulling out: It's a common complaint, and it's not a set-up issue or an issue with the bridge. A new ST bridge will NOT solve the problem. A little super glue will. Remove the bridge. Pull out the studs with care. Apply just-a-very-little-bit of glue in 2 places on each stud: Imagine the stud as a compass with North as the nut and South as the tailpin; place glue (just a little!) at E and W and press the stud back in. I did this after I installed my ST. It's easy, just take your time. (BTW, I learned this on TB!)

Good luck.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

YOU DONT REMOVE THE THREADED INSERTS!!

Take the three bolts off and screw the new ST down with the supplied bolts into the two side inserts.

Tbone76 likes this.
  5. Thank you; this is very helpful. So far, I have been able to adjust the bridge to eliminate buzzing by carefully raising all three points at once; that, and a tweak of the truss bar (very smooth turn), and the neck feels great and the action is acceptable low. I was a little surprised, given some arlier reviews, how much tonal range there was in the controls. Maybe Epiphone upgraded the pots? The "chicken" dial was smooth and really allows for tonal adjustments aside from the controls. The E string seemed just slightly--very slightly--weaker than the others in open mode, but a new set of D'Addario Pro Steels appears to have evened this out. I also raised the e string pole pieve just a tad. Perhaps the Dimarzio pickup might be in the future. I have several really fine basses, and this is really just a fun-vintage-look thing and possible project, but I'm pleased with the initial quality. I bought it used, only a year old, but the frets are smooth, the fit and finish flawless, and the outrageous neck dive is controlled with my 4" wide leather strap (felt underneath) and Dunlop strap locks. Played at the proper angle for me, it feels quite comfortable after its first three-hour gig (and I'm a smallish 64). For $200, I feel I cannot have gone wrong.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  6. How heavy is it?

7. 9 lbs.