1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installing two trussrods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wRaith, May 8, 2006.

1. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I'll be putting 2 trussrods in the neck of the 6-string I'm building. Now, I know that a single trussrod goes straight up the middle, but how do two trussrods go in? Do they both go in parallel to a centre line, or do I put one parallel to each tapered edge?

Basically, do the two rods go parallel to each other up the midle, or do they taper towards each other the closer you get to the nut?

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    When I have seen this brought up before. Most responses were you only need 2 truss rods when you are building 2 necks.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you are using two trussrods, they will have the most effect out toward the edges- which would make them tapered, not parallel.

Same effect for carbon composite rod reinforcements.

But, close to the center is where it's easier to have them not break through the back of the neck.

I think people will say that both ways have been done sucessfully.

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

That's what I would say. If you are building a 6 string neck and you want two truss rods then it is probably ok to put them parallel to each other. If you're building an 10 string neck then you'd probably want to taper them.