1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Instant gratification

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Apr 21, 2009.

1. I know it´s dangerous to bring up this issue, given the high rate of G.A.S around here. :bag:

But I wonder: How do you cope with the need for instant gratification? Do you have it? Do you fight it?

Some months ago I decided not to buy anything I don´t really need. So no ipod touch for me:) Because, after all, it would take one week and I´d start wanting the iphone. And it never ends!

I mean this NOT in a political sense or anything, so please do not bring up the politics. I just think this subject wouldn´t suffer from a little deliberation.

2. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    I go to Best like I'm doing now and post from a Mac on display.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I stay out of the Basses section... really.

I've put more of a focus on the people in my life, not the things in my life.

So all I have to do is call up a buddy and hang out. Instant gratification.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm posting from my iPhone.

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I deal with this need by trying a reasonable means of getting it, and if it doesn't happen then I don't sweat it.

Usually, it means I throw my pants down, and say to the general audience "Well, it ain't gonna **** itself".

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have not yet found a reliable means of controlling those urges.

7. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    I have Jedi like self control.

8. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    The solution is to auto deduct money and put it into savings...whatever is left is yours to spend on that new ipod a new shirt, the Schecter you decided you wanted on a whim while buying strings....or just a lot of beer.

I also put away extra money in the from my taxes so I never own the gov. and every spring its like super $1,500 dollar personal Christmas time.

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    define: "Instant Gratification".

10. I try to be realistic and separate the want from the need. There are some items on my list - and if one of those happens to land here at the right prices I am in trouble - so far I have resisted the FMT that I really want - love to snag a Sadowsky - but not sure I could drop that much cash without actually either being really familiar with the model or having played one very similar.

At this point I want to thin the heard and get to 3 or 4 premium Basses I can be happy with.

11. I'm more into delayed gratification.

12. Me too. Like, when I'll go out of college, I'll order a Ken Smith :smug:

13. Well, it usually reffers to the ways in which we do things that gives us a short term "kick", but no long term benefit. Additionaly, the "kick" is usually considered shallow.

That´s how I´ve come across the term in philosophic writings, anyway. I think it´s somehow symbolized by how buying new stuff seldom makes us any happier whatsoever. After you got that first phone, it doesn´t actually matter for your quality of life what kind it is. But yet you keep buying new phones, because it feels good right when you get it. And before you get it, you feel like a 5 year old.

But surely, the concept can be relevant for other aspects of life. Some have even labeled some of today´s pop music a symptom of a desire for instant gratification.

My generation (I´m 22) is often labelled the "instant gratification generation". That´s also quite related to how we are always online, use SMS, Email and so on. We need reward right away.

14. Well I succumbed to the discounted SWR 350x Amp on the bay - did I need another Amp seeing that I have 3 - No! Was it a great deal at $245 - you betcha and you only live once and you can't take any of it with you!:D

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Keep your priorities in mind.

I'd love to drop money on a lot of things but I remember what my longer term goals are:

no credit card debt, bigger rainey day fund, more money in my retirement account, down payment for a house, new car, etc.

Nobody's perfect, but being able to visualize what you're sacrificing for makes it a lot easier.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm a fan of instant gratification. That is all I will say in this matter.

17. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    Easy: I remember I'm a broke-ass college student and have a need to eat/pay rent in the coming weeks. Either that or remind myself I have several senior projects to work on and don't have time for frivolous spending :p