1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Instant Reset Horn Protection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicmansf, Apr 16, 2009.

1. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    Mesa cab. Decided to use a Boss gaytar GT-6 pedal board with my 210 and 212. Needless to say, I dunno what I did, maybe some high frequencies got a bit too loud for my 212 horn...pushed the instant reset button on the 212, the 210 horn works fine, but the 212's horn is non-responsive, but maybe I didn't notice it before? Who's had to ever reset one of these things. Might I have to replace a fuse?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Some on tb might think that the best tweeter reset device is a ball peen hammer ; }

Have you pulled the connector cup yet to look on the inside of it or the cab and see whether there's an inline bulb that either looks like a large glass fuse or a small light bulb?

3. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    Ball pin hammer eh? Do explain.

Haven't torn into the cab yet, was wondering if the reset switch can be sticky or I'm not putting pressure in the right direction. Its got a curve at the bottom, I'm assuming you just push in on it right?

4. He means (and a lot of us agree) that tweeters are not required for bass, and should be smashed, I mean removed. :D

5. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    Ah yes, as the instigator of irony, I can't believe that went over my head. I like an active punch though, so I do enjoy them. :bassist:

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi musicmansf.

Just for the sake of technological exactitude, are these your two cabs?

The 2x10 PowerHouse™ Bass Cabinet
    and the 2x12 PowerHouse™ Bass Cabinet?

Were you playing LOUD distortion through your cabs without first attenuating their tweeters to the minimum setting? As I understand it, the dramatically increased harmonic content of overdriven sounds can UP the wattage being sent to the generally modest tweeters that are found in many bass cabs to the point that they will fry.

There don't seem to be any downloadable product manuals for your cabinets on Mesa Boogie's Web site, nor can I Google up any info on your MB cab's tweeter protection scheme (I was HOPING to learn that, in addition to your cabinet's re-settable tweeter protection, Mesa Boogie also uses a sacrificial light bulb to further protect your cab's tweeter by absorbing any excess current which may be sent to it during a 'Hendrix moment'. Said bulbs are usually cheap and can, IIRC, be occasionally sourced from auto supply places).

It would appear that you'll have to contact MB Tech support via phone, fax, or snail mail... :eyebrow:

--------

I will now rant:

It REALLY frosts me when an up-market company like Mesa Boogie doesn't offer that which a more working stiff-oriented rig maker like Yorkville Sound/Traynor does: downloadable user, AND service manuals--not to mention tech support via E-MAIL! :eyebrow:

Rant concluded.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Got out of bed on the wrong side this morning did we? :)

Paul

8. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    Yeah, exact cabs. They have the same "player control" box in all their cabs if that makes any difference. I can't say I was playing overly loud as I didn't know the output of the pedalboard so I was playing it safe. Although there was a bit of a harsh feedback moment, it was nothing that is out of left field with an OD pedal. I'm gonna play it today and see if it reset, the switch is a bit stickier than with my 2x10 for some reason. The sad part about this is I haven't even got to use the damn thing in a band situation yet! (The 212 that is).

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I doubt that any bass speaker manufacturer designs, if any "design" at all, with the thought that players are going to use distortion and other effects through their cabinets. Some of these effects have both a huge LF boost and excessive HF signals. These can easily damage both sets of speakers. Using these effects you really have to listen for any signs of complaint from your equipment. Trouble is that these signs are often masked by the "sound" that the player is trying to achieve and therefor missed until the speaker stops working.

Paul

10. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    Nah, the whammy works fine through it and the speakers are fine. I'm considering if maybe I got and the horn never worked and I never noticed because the 210 is so bright as it is. Haven't opened up anything, gonna call Mesa on monday I guess. God damn haven't even had the thing for 2 months and I'm already dealing with it :rollno:

For the reset button, if you DO blow the fuse or the protector goes into "on" mode, does it pop out or do anything special? The switch isn't exactly moveable in the "OK" position.