Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Instead of an Aguilar GS112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moo, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    So after falling in love with one in a store and reading a bazillion posts on them I finally bought an Aguilar GS112 to use for small gigs and as a second cab for bigger gigs.

I'm realizing I should have paid more attention to all the people who say it's a scooped cab as I'm not really happy with the sound. :(

My usual rig is an Eden 400 with an Eden D210T which I like a lot.

So knowing I really like the Eden sound any recommendations on a lightweight cab (40 pounds or better)? I came really close to getting the Bergantino 1x12 without the tweeter as I usually turn them off. Epifini is out of my price range.

Any 1x12 or lightweight 2x10's with tones similar to my Eden cab out there? I think the Bergantino EX112 may be much closer to what I want.

Thanks for any tips on this well worn subject. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can compare something directly to the Eden 2x10.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well 1st you can definitely fill in the mids with the edens eq
    um........i think another 210t might sound a lot like the one you have :p
    i always liked the way my bag end 115 sounded with an eden 210xlt, but if you read my posts,i'm pretty biased :D , besides, it doesnt sound like a 210T

3. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Have you tried the T on top of the Ag? I LOVED my 210T and wished I hadn't gotten rid of it. I do like the lows of the Ag. Together, you would get both. I've been contemplating the same sound you may be after. Read my post about the Eden 112XLT. I played an Eden 210XST this weekend and it kind of reminded me of the T's bodybuilding brother...more open than the 210XLT (I played the T and XLT together for a while...the XLT had more booty, but sort of squished the sound...like it was trying too hard).

Before you spend more cash, gig one Ag and the T cabs together and report back to us...it may be the ticket.

I have the Berg mini stack. When I first got it, I hooked the 112HT up with the Berg 210, the 12 was way louder...I could barely tell the 210 was there. I'm thinking the Berg would overpower the Ag.

4. The Gallien-Krueger Neo112 is 37 pounds and lists for $549. Street price will be much less. Check with Rik's Music or your local independent GK dealer. GC cannot order them for you.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the feedback, I wish I could play with the EQ more but this rig only comes out on gigs and I don't always have much tinker time.

I did add it to the Eden 2x10 at an outdoor gig and it sounded good but now I have to get it to sound good alone.

Eden is known for their mid bump, any one know what the specific frequency is for that?

And I'll keep my eyes peeled for the GK, I like the weight :)

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would suggest selling both your current cabs and get a Schroeder 1210.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I also have the Berg mini stack. It is everything I hoped for and more! Sweeet midrange, great articulation but warm. Not as much bottom booty as some but the cabs respond well to boosting the bass. They are extremely portable. If you don't like/need the tweeter, then getting the EX seems like a good idea. I like the HT/EX comb. with just the one tweeter which suits me fine. I recall somebody on the forum stacks two HT's, and somewhere there is probably someone stacking two EX's. I have gigged them outdoors at a clambake gig two years running with an Eden 550 head and had plenty of oomph. In fact, this year the cops came three times... :smug:

8. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    What about the Aguilar S-cabinets? The 2-10 is supposed to have more mids, and the price is right too. Anyone have one of these?

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Sounds about right! :smug:

BagEnd has nice mids too.

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    52 pounds, only 8 pounds lighter than my D210T's. Probably sounds right though.

12. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I came real close to buying the EX112. I'd only heard one once and it was fantastic. I bought online and the salesman said I might be dissapointed with a single cab for my 5 string since they were a little light on the bottom end. It was only $10 more and is 5 pounds lighter, I'm thinking that might have been the better choice for me.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas