Instead of BEADG can I string my 5 string EADGC....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 17, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY just put the proper strings on it and tune it? I don't have to change anything to the bass do I? I tried to do it with my normal 5 strings and the G string popped. I should have taken off the old strings and put on the proper strings that are actually the real EADGC right?

C is the next open string after G right? I'm such a noob! :bag:
  2. You need to have a new nut cut specifically for the string sizes. Your BEADG nut will not work well at all with an EADGC stringing.

Yes, C is above G.

Honestly, the easy solution is... Buy a 6 string:D !

3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yes, you can use that set of strings. When I did that on one of my five strings, I did not have to modify the nut at all. String it up once and see if everything is kosher before you start filing away.
  4. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Going to the smaller gauge strings for EADGC will not require any filing of the nut. The only thing to be concerned with about the nut is if the strings move side to side while in the existing slot once tuned. The same is true with the bridge saddles.
  5. But you may have to adjust the neck profile, as higher tuned strings put more tension on the neck.
  6. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    Thanks guys for your input. I never use my B string but I do want to reach the higher notes. I'll make this my tuesday night project......:bassist:
  7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    This is not necessarily true.

You might not have to switch out the nut. I have had 2 five strings that I changed to the high five tuning and nothing more than a proper set up was needed. Intonation was not an issue at all.
  8. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
  9. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    when Rob Allen made my new Deep 5 (tuned E-C) he went with 34" rather than 35" scale. More conducive to the higher tuning.
  10. You cannot tune your BEADG bass to EADGC...I don't permit it...

Next time you get a notion like this, you'd better ask my permission first.

like was said before, you probably WON'T need to cut a new nut, but you WILL need to adjust intonation (and possibly a trussrod adjustment)...and yes, use the proper sized strings for the job...other than that...

DO IT! you can DO it, Bobby Boucher!
  11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, if I were to move up to five, it'd be E-C. I don't need any lower notes...
  12. MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Thats a question that I've been wondering for a while myself. for me it was either get a 5ier and re-string it to E-C, or get a 6ier. But alas, I yet to get either. One day though
  13. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I ordered my 5 EADGC so when I got it, it was already set. I like it. I use the C more than the B. Good stuff :D
  14. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Yeah... after all, why play so many bass notes? It's not like the name of the instrument is "BASS" or anything... it seems entirely appropriate to extend its range upward. :meh:

Hey, let's just grab some .09 gauge E guitar strings and start stringing our basses... err... our tenors... up with them.

Then after that, let's see if we can invent a really high pitched DB... let's see, it would have to be smaller... and because of that, the end pin wouldn't reach the floor easily...

Maybe we could hold this "piccolo bass" between our shoulder and chin? Oh, and the tuning might need to change to accomodate the shorter scale... maybe fifths rather than fourths. Heck, since we're all familiar with EADG anyway, why don't we tune this new instrument GDAE? Brilliant! :bag:
  15. I inquired about this in the strings forum recently and didn't get many responses. I had asked if it would be a good idea to buy a 6-string set and discard the B string. What do you guys think about that?

The last time I was in a local shop I tried tuning a 5-string up and the E-string broke!(I can't be entirely sure I was doing it right. I remember thinking I was tuning it by the wrong fret as the string snapped, but it was too late and I didn't think I should ask to try again on another bass:( )
  16. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Wow...relax a little bit, Dickerwood.

I was just saying that I personally could use more notes on the high end instead of lower ones.
  17. AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    I've stumbled upon that idea sometimes since i don't use my B-string that much. But the problem is;
    1. I don't own a 5 string.
    2. When I think about it, I use the low B without being aware of it. So I'm really adicted to that string anyway. :meh:

But if you want to re-string your bass that way you'll probably need to change the nut.

Good luck!
  18. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    I understand that. I'm just wondering why you'd want any more high notes. I mean, if you play a 24 fret bass, you can already play up to second line G (an octave higher written) in the treble clef. I don't get why you'd want your BASS to extend its range even farther into the TREBLE clef.

It's kind of like when you see guys noodling up around that 20th fret... the whole bottom end falls out, and who says, "Gee, I wish I could go even HIGHER"?

Maybe it's just me. As a rule, I try not to play above (sounding) middle C. Ever.

Now, if you're wanting another high string so you can play higher without shifting positions, that's fine. But as far as blatant usefulness, a low B string accomplishes that feat a lot more easily by just letting you play higher on the neck. You get the same range in a more comfortable and easily accessible position.

The only thing a high string accomplishes is giving you range in a lower and more awkward position. I don't see any advantage, besides extending your range into somebody else's. And considering how much we bass players whine about guitarists and keyboardists getting "in the way", you'd think we'd be smart about not doing the same. :D

Can somebody present a legit reason why EADGC would be superior (or even preferential) to BEADG?
  19. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, part of that is just my style. I've always been a more trebly/high-register player. And I'm almost always in a three- or four-piece with just one guitar and a drummer, so there's almost always enough room for me to go up high.

It's just how I play. I like laying a low groove, yeah, but I also like to go up high and do some kinda 'lead' stuff (not that you can't do that down low). For that kind of thing, I could see myself using the high C more than the low B.
  20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Here's one:

Here's another:

I can go on and on with those.

High C is preferrential to a low B if you're into chordal playing, as the C rings out more clearly and allows your instrument to function better as a chordal instrument than a low B does. It allows easy position playing if you regularly play notes that are higher up on the D or G strings. People often prefer the timbre of notes on the C string with its thinner gauges than the notes higher up on the G string. And the most legit reason of all- because someone wants it.

The electric bass guitar is an instrument, not a role. You can spend your entire time playing in the upper registers, and you're still playing electric bass guitar, just as guitar soloists who spend most of their time soloing in the upper registers are still guitarists, not mandolinists.