instructional video suggestions needed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tony moore, Jun 16, 2005.

1. So I played violin all thru grade school, high school and even got a college scholarship for violin performance. So why am I still not comfortable with theory, chord development, etc? Because I'm a lazy hack, that's why. I've got a good hear and have used it as a crutch my whole life. I can still sight read in treble clef really well, but never bothered to "connect the dots". I also never bothered to learn bass clef and play bass completely by ear and whatever basic theory I picked up from playing violin and such.

I'm tired of the crutch and want to know why I choose the notes I do and hope some knowledge will help me grow.

I'm married, have kids, and run a company. I find the time to play a couple hours a day, but more out of therapy and release than anything else. I'm lucky enough to be able to perform and record with some fine folks and now have an opportunity to stretch out a bit.

I don't have the time to spend with a teacher, but would rather find some video (dvd preferable) instruction that I can use when the time allows. I'd rather not waste the money on something unknown. Can anyone suggest any DVD's they found particularly helpful?

2. On a completely off note John Myung played the violin before he played bass.

I suggest a book, like Bass for Dummies, not a DVD. It comes with a CD.