Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Instructional Video ??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by davegr8house, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Hello all,
    I hope I don`t get blasted for asking this but here we go..... Can anyone suggest to me a good instructional video. I`ve been playing electric for years and the URB for a short time. I`m looking for something that can teach me a little of everything. I know I should get a teacher but I havent the time right now. Any help would be great. I bought a video off EBAY " the murphy method". It was waaay to basic. Thanks for your help.

David

--------------------------------------------------
    If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off

2. I have one called The Acoustic Bass by Gary Peacock, on Homespun Tapes. It's pretty good.
    Also, if you're into slapping, Rockabilly Slap Bass by Lee Rocker, also on Homespun.

3. I have Jeff Bradetich's video, which is geared toward HS or beginning college students. I've only been playing for 6 months (after 16 yrs on electric), but his approach has really helped me in terms of big core sound production, and vibrato development. It's a little frustrating to hear the sheer GORGEOUSNESS of his bass next to my dumpy old ply bass, but I still dig the video. It's worth it, IMO.

-a

4. My hat is off to anyone who can learn the basics by watching a video. I couldn't do it. I have both the Bradetich and Karr videos, and while I think they are great supplements to your bass education, I would warn wholeheartedly against relying on them for the fundamentals. There's just too much going on: bow hold variations, bow speed and pressure, stance ....things that almost require someone standing there giving you feedback, and if absent, promote bad habits which you'll have to unlearn before you can do them properly.
    I held off on lessons for many months thinking I didn't have the time, assuming that it would be a weekly hour that I just couldn't free up the time for.
    I have it set up for an hour every other week, give or take a week depending on how the teacher's and my schedules mesh. I think you'll be surprised at how flexible your teacher might be as far as frequency of lessons. Thing to concentrate on is practicing beween lessons.
    If you insist upon learning by video, I would at least take a few lessons to learn the basics of the bow hold, stance, etc. and then see how it goes from there.
    Just my two cents. Good luck!

5. I actually study with a classical db teacher once every other week (one-hour lessons), and have been since March... the video is just to give me something to work on besides my Rabbath book, and to give me positive aural enforcement.

-a

6. amcrory

I should have used a quote; my remarks were ambiguous and were meant to be directed at the thread starter, not at your reply.

how do you like the Rabbath method?

7. NP, Mark.

The Rabbath method is a BEAR. Yow. But I really dig it -- the exercises are very musical, and I like the emphasis on endurance. My bow hand is aching after some of the 16th-note exercises (I'm only on page 9).

-a

8. Hello Guys,
    Thank you for your input. Today I went and took my DB to an area luthier and teacher. He is going to give my bass a much need set-up and repair a loose fingerboard. I also talked to him about...........yes lessons. I believe I will take him up on this. He lives about 30 min. from me and his rates are 15.00 bucks for a half hour and 28 bucks for a whole hour. Heres my question for all of you. Do these rates sound about right? What should I expect? I know I should not learn what I want but what I need. Are there any questions I should ask him before I start? Thank you for your input and have a good day.
    Dave

-------------------------------------------------
    If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    GREATSTEAKHOUSE,

Those rates sound perfectly reasonable for Bumf*ck, Tenn... I should know, because they are the EXACT same rates I charge here in Bumf*ck, KY. Now, in NY city, those rates would be all wrong. In NY, the only way you could get rates like that would be to wear gloves and a ski-mask to your lesson while hiding an Uzi in you bass bag. But down here, that's right on the money. No pun intended.

Regards,

DURRL

10. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    FSCOTTYFITZ

That does seem reasonable. I pay $20 for a 45-60 min lesson here in Oklahoma, and the going rate for some of the North Tejas big shots is $50. Now I hear West Bumf*ck, Mississippi is really cheap. A pound of butter and 6 eggs will get you a month of lessons with the principal in the jug band.

:D

Monte

11. Those rates couldn't keep a NY-NJ teacher in bus fare

12. I pay $35 for a one-hour lesson here in San Diego. That's also what Bob Magnusson charges...

-a

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

MONTEBUTNOTFORME,

Wow. Here in the heartland, a month of lessons with a jug band principal costs you a pound of butter and 2 dozen eggs. Just goes to show you how inflation creeps in the minute you start to head north.

armcrory,

I'd pay WAY more than $35 an hour to study with Bob Magnusson...that guy's a GREAT player.

14. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    ACRIMONY,

That is a great price to study with him. I know Lynn Seaton is more than that in N. Texas, as is John Adams. I still plan on going down there for some lessons with him again when, but this fall I have the regrettable problem of too many gigs = little practice time. I'm playing now 4 nights a week, occasional Sunday gigs in church groups, and with a history class on Monday night and Tuesday being my tennis league (my way to relax), I can't practice much without staying up late and falling asleep at my day job. Spring will be better, so for now it will be Sat. and Sunday afternoons.

BTW, for those who don't know Lynn Seaton, he is great. The trumpet player (Stephen Fulton) I'm playing with tonight played with him in Woody Herman's band, and Stephen has played with everybody you can think of, and he told me if he could choose one bassist to play with, he would choose Lynn. He doesn't hand out praise like that to everyone either.

Monte

15. Python:
    Seaton is a monster. No one I've heard can match him for arco jazz solos, except maybe McBride.
    If you get there, consider yourself blessed.

16. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Don-Don,

He is also a nice guy. I went to a clinic if his when I was a raw beginner and in spite of being around some hotshot bassists from N.Tex., U of Kansas, and Wichita State, he wasn't condescending and gave me lots of encouragement. I learned a ton in one afternoon; enough so that I got a citation 2 months later from the IAJE at the Wichita Jazz Festival by applying what he was teaching. Before his clinic I was discouraged by my lack of progress and considering returning to guitar and leaving bass. A few years later it was guitar I left behind.

Monte

17. My first Fuquafied name. I'm honored!

FWIW, I haven't touched my toybass in more than a month...

-a

18. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    We must all do what we can in the absence of our departed friend.

Monte

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

MORNINGCRORY,

Like with Doritos, nobody can have just one. Welcome to the despoiled!

FSCOTCHKILT

20. HARKTHEHERALD,

Thanks!

-a