1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Instructions for unboxing a shipped bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rollyolly, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I just ordered a Fender Geddy Lee in sunburst from Sweetwater. Are there any precautions to take before ripping open the box, tuning it up, and thumping away? I thought I read somewhere that you need to leave the box unopened in your house or something so the neck can "acclimate." I'm in CA so its not like it'll be -20F when its sitting on my porch.

Just curious - don't wanna screw up a good thing!

2. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    That's tropical fish you're thinking of.

3. Hi.

Just bring the package in, leave it in the middle of the room, and stare at it as long as You possibly can. With Your amp ready to go, obviously.

Won't be that long before You rip it open I'd recon ;).

About the only thing is to take the "no kinives" label seriously, too many unpleasant surprises on all sorts of stuff when the "oh-so-gentle" cut wasn't all that gentle after all.

Congrats on the upcoming NBD.

Regards
    Sam

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Let it warm up to room temp slowly. It may have been cold for days. Sometimes they sit on a cold concrete floor over a weekend.
    Open box let house air in. Wait a hour take case out of box. Let it sit. If the case feels cold, it is. Be patient.

5. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Having a camera on hand may not be a bad idea either.

6. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Be patient? For what? It's not a precision machine made from dissimilar alloys that respond to different temperatures. There are no moving parts that may seize up.

Good grief, open that box up and play the damn thing.

7. Rip open as fast as possible. Play bass. Post pics on TB.

8. I would try and not damage the box. You may want to save it to ship out a bass in the future.

9. People typically mention waiting with a nitro finish which in the case of the GL doesn't apply. I don't really follow the rule under any circumstances. Just rip into that box.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I think that only applies when going from seriously diuf temps like freezing to 72 degrees. I take them out of their box early on for basic exam. Make sure theres no physical issues with the build, nor loose screws & nuts. No sig neck bow, if so I adjust truss rod a bit. If its going from at least a 30 degree temp diff then maybe let aclimate in case or gigbag for 30 minutes or so after the exam. But thats about it. If gave truss rod tweak then recheck that a good hr later after aclimated.

11. I usually just open the box as soon as it gets here lol.

12. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    When I ordered my bass, they said wait 24 hours before opening the box, so the temperature change wasn't sudden and the finish wouldn't spiderweb.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    As said later in this thread, when that haze appears your finish will check. Up to you.

I don't in cold climes take a cold bass into my house or gig without letting it acclimate. I do take a warm bass to my warm car then into warm club.

Do what you want but these days your bass may have been in cold trucks, cold warehouse concrete floor, cold trucks, colder airplane, cold trucks, cold warehouse concrete floor, cold trucks, and if you're unlucky left outside your door in this cold. So go ahead and open it in your 72 degree living room. It's your bass.

14. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I open and play, after the most crucial step: sneaking the box past my wife to the bass room.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I will open no box before its time. And its time is now.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do you keep it in a bass cozy?

17. The neck on that bass has a finish on it, so it's not going to warp on you or whatever. It's not like you are dealing with raw wood, or extreme temperature/humidity changes.

You're probably going to have to tweak the setup to get it right, anyways, so why worry about it? Take it out of the box, play it for a few days, do a full setup.

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hahahahhahaha :)

19. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    I was always told to let it breathe for 30 minutes as the tannin levels may be too high....

(o wait, that's wine)

20. Here is the proper way to do it:

1) agonize about opening the box
    2) get endorphin and adrenaline levels to Max
    3) have a cup of coffee or a beer to calm the nerves, your choice
    4) carefully open the box - take about half an hour just to pull the copper staples out
    5) open the box and lay your eyes on that beautiful new baby
    6) gently pull her, him out of the box
    7) accidently ding the headstock or body before you even get the foam wrap off

There - now you don't need to worry about the first dent - ready to rock!