Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sojhen, Apr 25, 2003.

1. I'd just like to know what everyones opinion on instructors/teachers is... I've heard alot of people say that they are'nt worth it and that they won't teach you anything you would'nt learn on your own... I'm not to sure on what to do exactly.. I know I have TalkBass to help me.. But I am not sure wiether it is worth it to get an instructor.. What are your thoughts..?
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Completely opposite of what is true. Teachers are extremely helpful in expanding your skills as a bassist. You may be able to pick up on some things here-and-there. An instructor, however, will teach you what you need to know in a logical order and at a pace that he/she feels is appropriate for your progress.
  3. Completely true. I thought I could teach myself the Bass, and after six months, broke down and got a teacher. I've gone through four different instructors, one was huge into Reggae, another Classic Rock, another Jazz, and my upright teacher was all classical. So you learn different things from different teachers. I actually enjoyed this. I don't see the point in sticking with the same teacher for more then a year or two. They start to teach you the same things over and over, and you don't advance much. Get instruction in different methods is my idea.
  4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I'm a newbie, so what do I know...

Seems like there's truth to both sides of the whole teacher vs. self-taught thing. Clearly, having a GOOD teacher who really knows what he's doing is better than going it alone. But I haven't gotten that lucky yet. Having a BAD teacher seems worse than going it alone, and having a MEDIOCRE teacher seems like a waste of money. I've had several of the latter sort now. The best I can say is that they keep me a little more disciplined about my practice routines, and occasionally expose me to new stuff. But I'm unemployed right now, and I can't afford stuff that's nonessential.

If I found a GOOD teacher, I'd pay him and happily eat (more) beans and rice, or sell off some "essential" gear.
  5. My only problem now is finding a good teacher in my city... My girlfriend (guitarist) believes that teachers are bad... I've only ever had a violin teacher.. And at the beginning it really sucked.. But the violin is also a difficult instrument to play so it's understandable... But, the biggest problem now is if I were to look finding a teacher that will teach me what I want to learn and expose me to good material. I wonder if teachers do a try a lesson or two and see what you think kind of deal... Because honestly it's pretty hard to judge someones playing ability just by looking at them...

Well, if I do decide to go for a teacher that will take up so time during the day as well... And that also means I won't have the money to go into Judo.
    But, I can already defend myself.. So time to find me a instructor... Any other comments would be very welcome.. Thanks :bassist:
  6. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Lessons Vs. Self-Taught:

There's lots of differing opinions on instructors here at TB. Here's my opinion:

I think it's far beyond worth it to find yourself a good teacher. I've been taking lessons for 3 years and I feel I am benefiting much more than I think I would if I wasn't taking lessons. Although Talkbass does provide a great deal of knowledge of the instrument, there is nothing like being face to face with someone to help you.

What it comes down to is never stop learning. Expand your knowledge. What harm can a good teacher do (remember I said good, there are bad teachers out there; this has been talked about on TB as well)? I teach myself things on my own and from my lessons. I like the balance, and it's nice to know if I ever have a problem with something I'm learning on my own I can bring it to my lesson.
  7. Hopefully, I'll be lucky enough to find a teacher where I live.... .. The town where I live isn't exactly the music capital of my country.. in other words.. my town really sucks.... Honestly I hate it here but I just got an amazing job.. so I won't be moving anytime soon... I'm looking around at music stores... You guys know of any red flags I should be looking for ..?
  8. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Not necessarily a red flag, but....

When you are looking around at the music store, talk with the customers first. See who they took lessons from and what their expierience was like. After that, ask the people who work at the store.

Where do you live, anyway? If you live near me I can reccomend an excellent instructor.
  9. I live in Canada... .. . Man it sucks.... Where do you live...?
  10. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I live in Massachusetts, so it may be a bit of a drive for you to work with the teacher I would reccomend. :) Try this link, though. It may help you in your search.
  11. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    Speaking of instructors............does anyone know any REALLY GOOD bass teachers in the Sacramento area? I'm into jazz/rock/world beat, so a teacher who can work in this realm would be most helpful, although I think any GOOD teacher can transcend a musical style.
  12. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    One of the things that is helping me is just jamming with other Bass players. We exchange ideas and technique. For me it is more help than an instructor and cheaper ;)
  13. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Where in Canada you at?

As far as "red flags" go, I'd say one is someone who promises to teach you "tricks". While tricks may look awesome to the non-musician, no trick in the world will help you if you suddenly have to improvise a line in G# Mixolydian in 12/8.

Another red flag IMO is someone who says that their approach is right and no one else's is. Having a closed-minded teacher isn't a good way to go.
  14. Thanks alot for the advice... I teacher who wasn't open minded would'nt be a good thing... Because I listen to japanese music so first of all he has to be open minded to begin with.... So most instructors will let you bring them stuff and they will either help you learn the song or teach you how to play stuff that is similar to the song am I right?:confused: I live in BC...
  15. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, there are quite a few TBers in BC... I don't know if any of them teach, but I'm sure some of them might be able to give you a lead on teachers in the area.

Yes, most teachers will help you learn how to transcribe lines... but here is another difference between an average teacher and a good one IMO:

The average teacher will show you how to play the lines. A good teacher will not only show you how to play them, he'll show you how they are put together and give you exercises that would assist you in putting together your own lines in that style.

Hope this helps! :)